HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Problem with Current Fuel Mileage Display

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 08:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Problem with Current Fuel Mileage Display

It happened to me multiple times today. I would be between 70 to 80 mpg and slightly let off of the throttle. The mpgs would creep up to 100 and essentially bounce off the 100mpg mark and erratically make its way back down to 0mpg. It would stay at 0mpg until I adjusted the throttle. I guess it's just some glitch like the 62 mile bug. It doesn't really bother me since it seems to happen to all of you too. I just wanted to make sure something wasn't wrong with mine.

Thanks for all of your responses.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:31 PM
Enthusiast

Haven't seen this problem, but have only had car for a week (600 miles). Getting around 39-40.5 mpg. Freeway between 2 towns and some driving around in town. My first post. Had a '07 Camry Hybrid with my name on it and got anxious about spending $31K on 38 mpg, so I bolted and just happened to find a new Civic in stock after a declined finance deal with the guy who ordered it. Fun so far.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:44 PM

Just a quick statement regarding my "incidents"... they ALWAYS occur within the first five minutes of operation (cold engine) and when coasting downhill. I have never observed this condition at any other time (doesn't mean it DOESN'T happen... just that I've never witnessed it happening!!!).

Old 08-10-2006, 10:14 PM
Enthusiast

I've never seen this issue occur before, but it happened to me today. It was 83 out, and I had been driving for 15-20 mins, so the engine wasn't cold. I was in the middle of a glide when it happened.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: Problem with Current Fuel Mileage Display

Did you all get the letter from honda about the software problem in the tachometer gauge control module that shows erratic average fuel mileage readings? we're supposed to take our cars in and leave it for half a day at the dealers for them to install a new module.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:05 PM
Energy Independence

I have seen no such letter.
Does this apply to ALL 06 HCH2's (or just early ones maybe, like the 100km bug)?

Old 10-27-2006, 10:58 PM

I suspect this is for the 62 mi / 100 km bug. I haven't heard of any other corrections issued by Honda... though it would be nice if they'd correct the 2 mpg error issue (displayed readings are low by 1. 5 to 2 mpg vs. calculated mpg)!

Old 10-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

It is a recalabrate and it is documented in the manual.

Ron in SoCal.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by rrunyan
It is a recalabrate and it is documented in the manual.

Ron in SoCal.
I have not found a mention of a recalibration of the Current Fuel Mileage display in the manual. Please let me know what page you found this on.

There is mention of the IMA Battery Level Gauge performing a correction on p. 69.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:51 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DarkHorse2160
That guage is practically worthless anyway, unless you happen to have a calibrated and labeled MPG template on the lens of your eye.

Such a low tech guage, in a high tech car. They need a numeric read out.

Mark - I disagree. The gauge is highly-accurate. The readout IS labeled at 0/50/100 and are you telling us that you are incapable of seeing the readout *halfway* between the numbers 50 and 100 and determining that this is 75 mpg or halfway between 0 and 50 is 25 mpg? This ain't rocket science.

I also don't think a digital readout would help. I had the opportunity this past weekend to drive a Prius (Auto), Insight (5-sp), and previous version Civic (5-sp). I liked all of them except the Prius which had no visual reference on when the battery was assisting/charging but just those blinking lines going forward and backward. I prefer the Civic/Insight layout that has a gauge that grows closer to Neutral or climbs to max FE so that you can adjust your throttle to speed up the bars or slow them down. For example, if I am at 65 mph and heading down a hill I can lift completely off the throttle and the Instant mpg zooms up quickly to 100 and the Charge bars zoom down quickly and then I can quickly apply throttle until the green bars climb up but before they reach Neutral I can slowly lift off the throttle and modulate it based on the speed of the charge bars to get into EV mode - conversely - I can lift slightly off the throttle for the Instant gauge to slowly climb and once at 100 mpg I can slowly apply throttle and keep the car in EV mode.

With the Prius it was impossible to determine how hard/far I had to push the throttle to get it into Electric mode or Charge mode.

Quick Reply: Problem with Current Fuel Mileage Display

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands