HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

RANT about IMA

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: RANT about IMA

If the IMA system only has 20 HP, but can get about the same average as the HSD system with 60HP wouldn't it be nice to mix the two? If there was some sort of hybrid-hybrid system that used the EV mode from HSD and the acceleration from IMA, couldn't FE be significantly boosted?

Old 12-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
If the IMA system only has 20 HP, but can get about the same average as the HSD system with 60HP wouldn't it be nice to mix the two? If there was some sort of hybrid-hybrid system that used the EV mode from HSD and the acceleration from IMA, couldn't FE be significantly boosted?
Agreed. I would love to see a Honda engine with a 60hp (or more?) motor. I like the IMA more than the FSD (Ford Synergy Drive?) because it is a easier to control--kinda like the difference between driving a manual and an automatic (although we only have 400 miles on the MMH so I'm still in the learning curve). If they could build a < 1 liter engine with iVTEC and a 60hp motor fed by Li Ion batteries (and put it in a Fit), I would trade in the HCH in a heartbeat.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by kenny
If people walk in the rain they get wet.
Raincoats help and so do umbrellas.
Why don't they make an umbrella built into a raincoat.

It would save time, and reduce wetness, wouldn't it?

Oh, how can they sell raincoats without umbrellas?
How can they sill umbrellas without raincoats?

Oh, cruel world.
Kenny, I can't tell if you've "proved a theorem" or "written a poem". But I really like it!

Old 12-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

I figured I could share some of my thoughts on this topic as well. While I'm not an engineer or scientist or whatever, there's a lot of good points in this thread and ideas for future improvements.

1 - I agree with the lack of power issue. I thought my Geo Metro was slow going uphill and up mountains, but I think the HCH took the cake (granted Metro was a lot smaller and lighter!). I would love a more powerful Elec. motor that gave more assist and charged more efficiently. Incorporating this becomes difficult and expensive, but one day, I'm sure we'll be there.

2 - Hybridization of larger vehicles does make the greatest impact in overall FE increases. This is due to the highly efficient engines already in the smaller vehicles that have become the popular hybrids. If you get 30 MPG in a regular Civic (city avg) and 40 MPH in a hybrid, the overall gas consumption goes from 400 gals (based on 12K annually) to 300 gals. This is a 25% decrease in gasoline usage. However, in an SUV that gets about 12 MPG uses 1000 gals where as getting 25 you would use only 480 gals. While this is a hypothetical scenario, it's obvious that the most work needs done on the larger vehicles to truely make the largest impact in Americas gasoline consumption. Remember, the 90s were the decade of the SUV and it was what people wanted because they felt safer in them (among other reasons).

3 - I'd love to see the following options on future HCHs:

More powerful engine (say, 1.5L vs 1.3L)
AWD for those who have to drive in the wintry conditons
4W disc brakes
Clean Diesel option (much more torque!)

Just some of my thoughts on the subject.

Matt

Old 12-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the additional comments Matt.

As you said, the real impact will be felt once larger cars and trucks incorporate the features of hybrid technology. Even the basic auto stop feature found in most hybrids would reduce the amount of gas used per year on these vehicles.

One feature I would love the most which Honda could incorporate now would be an electrical heater element just like they have done with the electrical air conditioning....

It's coooooold over here

Old 12-23-2007, 05:11 AM
HypoFueler

I tend to agree with the OP on one thing - I wonder what a 1.5L HC that had everything on an HCH2 except the IMA system would do FE wise? Bet Honda could produce them for a lot less and they would sell well. Might cannibalize their existing HCH and Civic sales though...