HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Rant of the Month

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rant of the Month

Have you decided what you want to rant about yet?

Old 04-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

There are a few things that come to mind. Tell me what you think.

1. The new fuel economy standards for 2015
2. $120.00 barrel of oil
3. The cost of food / rice shortage.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Energy Independence

I'm giddy already.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:31 AM

One More Day!!!

Old 05-01-2008, 05:12 PM

Rant of the Month for May.

I am choosing the fuel economy standard for 2015. Now for the most part this topic has been talk about everywhere and especially here.

So why rant about it again....
As the weather here on the east coast is getting warmer, I have notice some mileage increase, which is good, but another thing I notice is how tired I am after I finish driving my car either to work or from work. Getting better mileage on my car is definitely a task and a full time job. (Some of the mpg others here have posted have made me envious). Before we go on about tire pressure and other mpg boosters, I must say I do a lot in terms of keeping the gauge at 100%, coasting whenever possible and driving only when I have a full to do list. As time permits, car companies may need to incorporate these techniques into the car’s computer just like they did in the past with ABS, Traction Control and other safety type features. It has been a long time since I had to pump my brakes, if you know what I mean!

All car manufactures have to get an average number of cars to the 35mpg mark by 2015, is that possible, sure it is. Better battery technology will allow for mild hybrids to mature in the market, heck we might even see most cars at that time come standard as mild hybrids. We will also see higher capacity full hybrids in the market alongside electric driven variants. The real question after all is said and done; will I sacrifice the enjoyment of pure driving for gas? I hope not, I want to save gas, but hopefully technology will allow for a no compromise solution.

It is funny, when I had my Acura CL, I ended up driving my Civic more because it was a stick and was very fun to drive. The Mercedes was fun to drive also (when it wasn’t in the shop for everything under the sun). My next car will definitely be something that is good on gas but fun to drive at the same time.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arbittan
Rant of the Month for May.

The real question after all is said and done; will I sacrifice the enjoyment of pure driving for gas? I hope not, I want to save gas, but hopefully technology will allow for a no compromise solution.

My biggest rant - people don't want to make sacrifices. The blame lies on the car companies - the bad gas mileage is their fault. They should just make a sub 8 sec 0-60 car, that has room for 5, all the luxury features, that gets 60 mpg at 80 mph. Why don't they do that ... oh yeah for <$30,000. Guess what - if fun to drive = fast car - then you will have a problem for awhile. But maybe EVs will do it. I hope for the same but it just makes me frustrated when people aren't willing to change behavior (obviously not you since you did). I am hoping mostly for better aerodynamics so I can return to 80 mph and getting there in under 10 sec would be nice also......

Old 05-02-2008, 04:36 AM

The industry in a whole needs to wake up. Small start companies like Telsa have shown positive electric only base cars with a no compromise package. Too bad it is impractical for a single car family.

But this is the kind of wake up call the industry needs.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:11 AM
HypoFueler

Originally Posted by arbittan
The industry in a whole needs to wake up. Small start companies like Telsa have shown positive electric only base cars with a no compromise package. Too bad it is impractical for a single car family.

But this is the kind of wake up call the industry needs.
1. Accellerates and goes fast, 2. Uses little gas and 3. Does not cost $100k

I think you have to pick two of three above for a while....

I dont blame the industry completely. Many consumers have and continue to buy vehicles based on #1 and #3.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:03 AM
Enthusiast

I'm surprised how well the cruise control does on the highway regarding mpg. I drive 80 highway miles every day and the cruise control keeps me at about 48 mpg. I just wish the cruise control could get the same mpg that we can when we focus. That would make my commute even more enjoyable.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:33 PM

How many of you feel tired or beat up after you have driven for an hour in your hybrid? I mean tired from concentrating on hyermilling, etc.

Quick Reply: Rant of the Month

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands