Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   Rattle behind glove box (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/rattle-behind-glove-box-11334/)

voicedoc 12-07-2006 11:43 AM

Rattle behind glove box

I have a 2006 HCH with 4k miles on it.
Today I have started hearing a metallic clanking in the area behind or near the glove box. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Adjat84th 12-07-2006 03:11 PM

Re: Rattle behind glove box

Not 100% on this, but I believe the blower motor/fan assembly (also where the cabin air filter is located) is in this area. Undo the couple of screws to drop the glove box and check it out...or take it to the dealer.

JavaJ 12-07-2006 03:58 PM

forget about the screws. As long as it is somewhat warm where you are (so not freezing to the point of causing plastic to crack), just open your glove box (and empty it). Then squeeze in both sides just enough to let the box drop down (you will see plastic fingers on each side that hold it in the frame). Then you can access the air filter (maybe pull it out and clean it while you are at it).

Anahymbrid 12-07-2006 08:10 PM

I did mine around 11,000 miles. Found lots of leaves and such on top of the filter. Perhaps some light metal (like from a soda can) found it's way into yours... that might cause the metallic rattle.

More likely, though, are keys. I had a metallic rattle I couldn't track down. If you had said "it's your keys", I would have said you're nuts... no way the sound is coming from there. Sure enough, just grabbed hold of the keys and poof... no more noise! Strange how sounds can seem like they're coming from other areas. Do me a favor and just try it before you start pulling out filters and such!

As for me, I just put the keys in a different order on the keyring. Problem solved. I guess a rubber band could have worked, too.