Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   Storing Tires Over Winter (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/storing-tires-over-winter-11544/)

MrBond 12-22-2006 12:10 PM

Storing Tires Over Winter

I just had steel wheels and winter tires (Michelin X-Ice) installed on my HCHII, and had a question about storing my stock wheels/tires over the winter. Should I reduce the tire pressure or leave it as is? I've been searching the net for the last hour or two, and about half the sites I've found say to reduce the pressure to 10-15psi and the other half say to leave it as is. Does anyone have opinions on this?

On a related topic, I was not going to bother with hubcaps since I actually like the look of the black wheels, but I forgot about the rusted hub(?) which looks quite ugly. So, I decided to order Civic DX hubcaps as well.

noflash 12-22-2006 07:39 PM

Re: Storing Tires Over Winter

Leave as is. I've been doing it that way for years.

msantos 12-22-2006 08:19 PM

Re: Storing Tires Over Winter

Originally Posted by MrBond (Post 103761)
I just had steel wheels and winter tires (Michelin X-Ice) installed on my HCHII, and had a question about storing my stock wheels/tires over the winter. Should I reduce the tire pressure or leave it as is? I've been searching the net for the last hour or two, and about half the sites I've found say to reduce the pressure to 10-15psi and the other half say to leave it as is. Does anyone have opinions on this?

On a related topic, I was not going to bother with hubcaps since I actually like the look of the black wheels, but I forgot about the rusted hub(?) which looks quite ugly. So, I decided to order Civic DX hubcaps as well.

You made a good choice for winter tires. I too got the setup from the dealership with the DX wheel covers. It all looks much better than the usual undressed black rims.

Anyhow, I store my original OEM wheels without adjusting the pressure of the tires. I also apply a rubber protectant to the tires and I polish and apply sealant the aluminun wheels. Then I store each wheel+tire in a large plastic bag keep them in basement until spring.

Cheers;

MSantos