Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   Tires (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/tires-26120/)

Bobs Metallic Pearl 01-01-2011 04:59 PM

Tires

I know this has been discussed in many threads, but at 25,000 I am finding myself (well my car actually) in need of tires....I was STUNNED to see the oem Dunlaps have NO mileage warranty on them and shocked to see them wear out so quickly..especally considering 2 of them were replaced after my accident and the other 2 were replaced with the control arms...so they really only have maybe 15-18k on them....I was shocked actually Honda would use these tires as this just isn't very green really is it.

I checked with my favorite local tire store (Les Schwab) and they do not seem to have any idea what a low rolling ristance tire is, going as far as saying there is no such thing (very disconcerting).

I am looking for a recomidation on lrr tires that have the same or better mileage than I am seeing now (about 40 winter 48 summer). I need all season because I do drive in snow but, for heavy snow I break out the 14 mpg 4X4 truck :confused:.

06hch2 01-03-2011 02:27 AM

Re: Tires

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=121

Bobs Metallic Pearl 01-03-2011 05:02 PM

Well after looking at this link (thanks btw) and doing a lot of research (much more than I really wanted to) I think I am going to go with the Goodyear Assurance fuel max...look to be about $80 each at tirerack + 12.75 ea for shipping..or 99 each at discount tire....I am asking for a price match, I will see what they come up with...not sure about timing though.
Has anyone had experience with these tires? they Michelin is rated a bit higer for wear but lower for mpg...the best rated for mpg has no treadlife warranty (a...no) or am I missing something out there that is better?

Harold 01-03-2011 06:07 PM

That is my next choice as well. Reasonably priced as well and good rating. I have integrities on my 06 Prius and I like them[Most people don't] , but I think I will go assurance Fuel max next. Goodyear triple tread is used by some with excellent results as well. Michelin Energy Savers are a good choice to. I bit more money.Let us know how you feel about your choice Bob. H

vincep5 01-05-2011 07:24 AM

thats a pretty good price, however i also had the stock Dunlops and those lasted me an easy 50K..

Pros: Dunlop: better gas mileage
Cons: Dunlop: loud road noise towards the end of life

Pros: Goodyear fuel max: better traction in snow and no road noise
Cons: Goodyear fuel max: less gas mileage

MagPearl06 01-06-2011 11:44 AM

I replaced the original Dunlops with Michelin Hydroedge from Costco at ~48,000 miles. MPG dropped off ~10% initially, but recoved a bit. I quit entering tanks over a year ago, but my history from day one, with several tanks after the tire change, are in the garage at:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ehicleid=14188

Hydroedge are a pain to rotate, because they single directional, therefore Costco remounts and balances at rotation. It's part of the deal, could be why they cost a bit more (didnot know this until the first rotation). These tires have to be ordered online and delivered to the warehouse of your choice. The coupon Costco usually has also applies to special orders.

Harold 01-06-2011 03:10 PM

Most places don't 4 wheel rotate the Hydro Edge! Two wheel only. H

jdenenberg 01-07-2011 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bobs Metallic Pearl (Post 231456)
I am looking for a recommendation on lrr tires that have the same or better mileage than I am seeing now (about 40 winter 48 summer). I need all season because I do drive in snow but, for heavy snow I break out the 14 mpg 4X4 truck :confused:.

My current favorite LRR all-weather tire is the Nokian WRg2. They save MPG, good handling, low noise, Great traction (even in snow/ice), and should last about 50k miles (at least they do on my Prius). They cost about $115 each in my 185HR65 size at my local dealer in CT although very few locations offer them.

JeffD

Harold 01-07-2011 08:58 AM

jdenenberg:
I was thinking of the Nokian WR for my Prius 2006 when the time comes. How are they in the summer, much road noise and is the wear exceptable? H

Rickhandling 01-09-2011 03:40 PM

I bought 4 tires last month from TireRack. Kuhmo Solus KR22 - low rolling resistance.
They are much better than the original Dunlops which were the worst tires i have ever owned for traction and handling. $61.00 each.