HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Tow Bar Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tow Bar Hitch

Yes that is true,but only if you tow a trailer. Make sure the bike rack is on when you get service.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

No it's not true. No one act voids the entire warranty.

If you bring your car in with a problem and Honda can determine you created the problem through non-typical use of the vehicle, they can void that one particular part of the warranty.

E.g., an aftermarket suspension cannot void your stereo's warranty.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

I directed the question in a letter straight to Honda's corporate office. More on that later when they get back to me.

UPDATE

I am very impressed that they got back to me within one business day of my fax question. Here is a summary of my conversation:

Yes, they can void your warranty if you use it to tow (see p. 175 of the warranty book--which I don't have handy, but that was his citation). To his knowledge, they have denied/voided on at least one occasion for a transmission repair b/c a hitch was used to tow. However, I asked a more specific question about attaching a hitch for the purposes of installing a hitch bicycle rack. He stated American Honda isn't looking for a reason to void a warranty, but if a problem (say transmission) does come up and they do notice a hitch, then they will have to look at it very closely (suggesting a case by case). Still, if they wanted to dig in their heels, it appears that they could and the bottom line is that you shouldn't install one without some serious thought first.
Moral of the story: if you have any doubt, contact customer service and ask for a clarification. I am not a lawyer and I speak only as an unsophisticated layman who just wanted to know the answer to, "Can I install a hitch without voiding my warranty?"

Last edited by HyMinded; 02-20-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HyMinded
I stopped by the Honda dealer's parts department and asked the man behind the desk about a hitch for the HCH II. He seemed genuinely alarmed and stated: adding an after-market hitch voids your warranty.

Is this true?
Not necessarily, but actually towing with it might. It will probably depend on the dealer's judgement of whether there is a cause and effect relationship between the non honda accessory/use and the claimed warranty failure. My guess is that big ticket repairs would be more likely to be denied under warranty. That said, my steering rack was replaced under warranty (a $1,500 job) @33K miles, and I have a receiver hitch on my HCH-I. And I tow with it. Go figure.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:53 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HyMinded
I stopped by the Honda dealer's parts department and asked the man behind the desk about a hitch for the HCH II. He seemed genuinely alarmed and stated: adding an after-market hitch voids your warranty.

Is this true?

I saw that somewhere....I can't remember where, but I did see it (in print!). You might check the owners manuel.