Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   Two IMA battery replacements in 7 months (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/two-ima-battery-replacements-7-months-29744/)

NorBurn 06-21-2014 09:13 AM

Two IMA battery replacements in 7 months

I have a 2006 HCH II. The original IMA battery failed last October, and was replaced under warranty. Then, 7 months later, the 'new' IMA battery failed. I was very lucky as I was just a few weeks away from the end of my warranty period; my Honda dealership swapped the IMA battery for a new one yet again. I'm now outside the warranty period, but I'm nervous about the bad experience of the replacement IMA battery failing so quickly. It makes me suspicious of Honda HQ (I'm in Canada) giving the dealerships shoddy refurbished IMA units or something for the under-warranty-replacements.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience of a 'new' IMA battery failing way too early? Also, the person at the service desk told me that whenever this new one needs replacing, the warranty period of the next replacement would only be one year... is that true (in Canada)? If true that doesn't fill me with confidence. I really want to upgrade my speaker system but am leery about sinking money into a potential money pit.

hunter44102 06-22-2014 06:48 PM

Re: Two IMA battery replacements in 7 months

The battery is not technically failed. It needs to be cycled down to 50V and back up to 182V a couple times. Then you will get another 8-10 months with no issues and great performance.

Unfortunately the vehicle/software cannot do this. You have to remove it and do it yourself if you have the technical knowledge

I have been doing this out of warranty for the last 3 years since I'm a techie. I'm happy the vehicle still runs without any other issues but its really dissapointing that Honda hasn't done anything for us