HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Want to drive my car off a cliff

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Want to drive my car off a cliff

Forgot to mention ... I just got back from a 2.2 mile drive to the grocery store -- no more than 30 mph during any stretch and several stops -- and my mpg for that trip was 20.2. But yeah, nothing wrong with the car ... right ...

Old 03-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

In 2.2 miles the ICE is just warming up. No way you can expect good FE with a cold engine! H

Old 03-07-2011, 02:43 PM

Oh, and I might add a Prius will not do any better under that same condition. H

Old 03-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast

True enough, Harold, but last winter, I got about 28-30 mpg on that same, cold, 2.2 mile round trip (it's a frequent one for us). So something is definitely up ...

Old 03-07-2011, 04:23 PM

Hi Michael
I agree your mileage is very low. What are your tires pressed to? Also are they LRR tires and what size.Are the tire wearing even? Is your 12 volt still at around 12.6V after sitting all night? My 12V has never started my car since new 2006.That rpm behaver is normal for a CVT Transmission auto. H

Old 03-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Enthusiast

Once the HCH II battery gets old, the only way to get good mileage is to drive only freeway miles.....

Old 03-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

old or new the hch2 never gets good mpg in stop and go and even hypermiling is not gonna change that. not designed for that anyways. its a great car for steady speeds over longer drives and really rewards good drivers big time. thats it. fail at any and you get worse mpg.
20 mpg after 2.2 miles is not a good enough smokin' gun cause you are not giving us more detail like temps, gas type, tires, and others. dependign on the temps I can get worse than 20mpgs in the first 4 miles but after it warms up the smilin is back on my face.

ks

Old 03-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast

Grapeape,

I would suggest driving to downtown Trenton and leave it running with the windows down at a 7-11...and just walk away.

I'll be taking mine to the dealer for another good laugh in the next few weeks. I think every light is on now...IMA, 12V battery, check engine. I suspect they will do a "software upgrade" that disables those lights and then tell me the car is running fine. I've gone from 46mpg to now about 28. This is a joke.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:27 AM
04 prius 350,000km

any updates to hchII owners? i guess i'm in a heap of trouble if I wanted to buy a hchII for around 7k with 80k on the odometer? I drive mostly highway (70% of my commute) so I guess I'm better off looking for regular civic instead? Even though I love the hybrid tech

Old 02-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Don't take this post to mean all Honda Civic Hybrids are problematic. This owner obviously has serious issues with theirs, but I've driven several that performed excellently.

I personally own a Prius, but I'd be very surprised if all Civic Hybrids had the issues posted here.

Just make sure you take a used one for a test drive before buying.

Quick Reply: Want to drive my car off a cliff

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands