HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

XM reception update

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default XM reception update

As many of you have noticed, the XM reception on the HCHII is horrible. The antenna is placed inside the front windshield, instead of the roof as it should be. This causes the signal to fade out much more often than any "correct" installation. I brought this issue up with my dealership shortly after the XM installation.

The service manager told me that this is a known issue, that Honda is investigating. I would suggest those of you who have noticed the poor reception contact your dealership about it, and voice your complaint. Hopefully, the more complaints they hear, the more likely they will be to fix the problem.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: XM reception update

I recently went through all sorts of major grief with my local Honda dealer regarding very poor XM reception. In the end, they claimed that the reception in their opinion was acceptable and they refused to honor any sort of further consideration for repair. This of course prompted me to not only write a letter directly to Honda comapining about this sort of treatment, it also gave me lots of ammunition when I filled out the new customer questionaire and survey form. In the end, I went to Circuit city, bought a Terk micro XM antenna, popped it on the back trunk lid and have had outstanding reception ever since. That OEM XM antenna is not only mounted improperly, it's a total piece of junk.

Steve

Old 12-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Enthusiast

Walnut Creek Honda decided last month to replace the factory XM antenna with the antenna from an Accord Hybrid. Between the time they decided to do that, and this Saturday when we were able to schedule an installation, WCH was able to get an 07 Civic hybrid antenna for the installation.

This was done as a customer satisfaction request, no cost to me, and the XM reception has been improved significantly. No more dropping out at the sight of a tree.

The 07 civic hybrid has the XM antenna mounted in the base of the radio antenna above the rear window. Much like the Accord hybrid.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Otto,
Would you be able to elaborate more on the wiring? Would you know how they connected the XM antenna to the 07 civic hybrid antenna? I'd like to get more specifics so that I can give the information to a dealer here in Southern California. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:59 PM
Enthusiast

All of the connections are the same. The roof moutned antenna from the 07 civic hybrid replaced the windshield mounted xm antenna and the radio antenna on the roof on my car.

It was a direct replacement. I can scan the invoice if you need part numbers.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:53 AM
Enthusiast

Would you please scan the invoice for me. Thanks.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:03 AM
Enthusiast

Otto,
I guess the other question I have is how did they attach the old windshield antenna to the roof antenna? Did they pull the old wire and re-run it and connect it to the roof? How did they get it to the roof? thanks.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Enthusiast

The new roof mounted antenna comes with the antenna leads for the XM tuner. The windshield mounted XM antenna was abandoned.

Ill get the invoice tonight.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry for the delay, I've been a bit busy. Here is the invoice.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:24 AM
HOV lane commuter

My dealer advised that the SkyFi/Terk antenna combination I had is better than -- and certainly a better deal than -- adding the factory XM radio to the new car. So I simply reinstalled in the new car ... with antenna just under the inside windshield, as I'd had it in my Accord. No problems.

Quick Reply: XM reception update

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands