Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Accord Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-accord-hybrid-27/)
-   -   CNET says EX V6 had BETTER MPG than HCH!!! True?? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-accord-hybrid-27/cnet-says-ex-v6-had-better-mpg-than-hch-true-9735/)

Ucla95 09-03-2006 07:20 PM

CNET says EX V6 had BETTER MPG than HCH!!! True??

that's what they say in their review of the 2006 HCH!!

lars-ss 09-04-2006 06:52 AM

Re: CNET says EX V6 had BETTER MPG than HCH!!! True??

You are I believe reporting about their review of the ACCORD HYBRID, which can be seen on this page:

http://reviews.cnet.com/2006_Honda_A...2.html?tag=nav

The most surprising thing about the 2006 Accord Hybrid's performance is its relatively weak gas mileage. Despite what the EPA says--25mpg in the city and 34mpg on the highway--we observed an average of 23.5mpg in mixed metro driving. Not only is this far worse than the gas mileage for the 2007 Camry Hybrid (35mpg in the same conditions), but it is even lower than CNET's observed mileage for the gasoline-only 2006 Honda Accord EX, which got an overall reading of 24.9mpg on a trip down Southern California's notoriously congested I-5.
I'm still looking for their review of the 2006 HCH.

Potato 09-04-2006 08:43 AM

http://reviews.cnet.com/2006_Honda_C...-31750374.html

Is that what you're looking for?

lars-ss 09-04-2006 08:49 AM

Nowhere in the HCH review can I find them mentioning that the EX gets better mileage, as they do in the HAH review.....maybe I just missed it?

Potato 09-04-2006 08:55 AM

Wow, I had already read the HAH review and saw it, so I didn't even pick up that the original poster had mentioned HCH *^_^*

Yeah, I think that's what they're talking about (esp. since AFAIK, there is no V6 option for the Civic).

CaptJackSparrow 09-04-2006 09:16 AM

LOL, these reviews test drive the Honda Accord Hybrid and drive it like a muscle car due to its great power and then complain how they did not get good fuel mileage.

I have a 2006 HAH that my wife drives and she averages 28.7 in town and gets from 38 to 42 on the expressway.

If you drive the HAH in a normal manner it will give you very good fuel mileage. I bet if they were to drive the Toyota Camry Hybrid in the same manner they test drive the Accord Hybrid the TCH would not be much if any better mileage wise then the Accord.

Face it Honda is showing the world that a Hybrid does not have to be a slug and boring to be good, the Accord Hybrid is a fantastic car.

Double-Trinity 09-04-2006 06:26 PM

One point to note is that the V6 in question was a manual transmission, and the Hybrid was an automatic, and that they tested both in relatively slow speed driving, where the torque converted would not be "locked up" as much... it is definitely unfortunate that the Accord Hybrid did not come with an MT, or a CVT Auto -- that would probably make up the difference and then some, even in their test. The fact that it is a comparison of an automatic and manual is likely why they claimed the Hybrid "felt" slower, even though in all likelihood it was just as fast or faster in reality.

Ucla95 09-06-2006 03:53 AM

I mis-typed, I meant that Cnet article on the HAH all along, not the HCH. Anyway it's not good. I was about to buy the Hybrid, I guess I'll buy the V6 instead. Cheaper and same gas mileage!

CaptJackSparrow 09-06-2006 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ucla95
I mis-typed, I meant that Cnet article on the HAH all along, not the HCH. Anyway it's not good. I was about to buy the Hybrid, I guess I'll buy the V6 instead. Cheaper and same gas mileage!

LOL, same gas mileage?

Gee someone needs to tell my Accord Hybrid it is not allowed to get 28 to 30 mpg in town while still breaking in, and 38 to 42 on the road while still breaking in.

Be very careful about these magazine reviews of the Accord Hybrid, they do not understand the Accord Hybrid, they have done what the rest of the public has done, they see the word Hybrid and think 60 mpg. (the Toyota Camry Hybrid wont give you 60 mpg either.)

The Accord Hybrid gets very good fuel mileage beating the Accord V6, and you still get more power then the Accord V6, as well as getting the neat Hybrid system that saves you fuel.

According to every review I have read about the Accord Hybrid it gets terrible fuel mileage, yet if you just look in this forum you will see that darn near every Accord Hybrid owner is getting very good fuel mileage, far exceeding what the rags are all reporting!

You won't be disappointed with the Accord Hybrid if you buy one and understand that it is not going to give you 60 mpg and that it is designed to be like an every day car only it it gets better fuel mileage then an every day run of the mill Accord V6.

What the Accord will give you is fuel mileage in the 28 to 30 mpg range in town and a good honest 42 mpg on the road. These numbers are from my Accord Hybrid and remember it is still in the break in mode.

With those fuel mileage numbers you get a fully equipped Accord that will treat you like royalty when driving it. If you do want to get up and scoot it has the power to be gone when you want it to go. If you want very good fuel mileage this is one mid-size car that will deliver, so in a nut shell what you get is a mid-size performance car that also gives you very good fuel mileage to boot.

Dale B 09-10-2006 11:03 AM

Ummm....CNET isn't where I would go to find comprehensive and meaningful car reviews. Computer and accessories, maybe.

With equivalent driving, the Hybrid Accord will get you a FEW extra mpg. It will use maybe 15% less gas. With "informed" driving (taking advantage of the hybrid characteristics, which doesn't necessarily mean getting to your destination later), that difference can be increased.

Personally, my average over 19,800 miles is 34.1 mpg (2005 model). That's mostly highway miles, lots of A/C use, and some city thrown in. I KNOW I wouldn't be getting that with thet non-hybrid. People that work where I do, that take the same longish route, and have 4 cylinder Accords of the same design as the current Accord Hybrid get a couple less mpg than I'm getting.