Transmission "clunk" and IMA disengage

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:44 PM
G.H. Contributor
Talking Re: Transmission "clunk" and IMA disengage

Originally Posted by laptopps
Excellent advice and direction Keith and Terry! That's why I posted it here, right?? You guys know what is going on.

Arrowhead Honda sounds like the place to go. I am leaving for my backpacking trip Friday morning, so I won't be able to get it down there for a couple of weeks. If you remember the name of your go-to guy, please let me know. I will drop your name with your confidence in Arrowhead and schedule a ride with the Service Manager.

I think that this whole thing should work. Would love for the tech to listen to it and say, "The problem is the right ICBD mount in the hypomodule just below the main TVH cable."

Lookin' forward to having the problem fixed!
Hey Jeff,

Don't fall off of a mountain or hill top until you get this HAH fixed-up !!!!
Have fun and then take-care of the HAH and it's problem.

Terry

Old 10-09-2007, 02:40 PM
We have an Accord!
Default Re: Transmission "clunk" and IMA disengage

Originally Posted by laptopps
I have a 2006 HAH with an odd problem. I was able to duplicate it with the dealer, but in our one-horse town, they are not the sharpest tools in the shed (I had to tell the service manager what "eco" stood for). All that to say, they don't see Hybrids a whole lot.

The problem revolves around the transmission and it's shifting characteristics. Sometimes it shifts totally fine, but other times it will be in IMA under light acceleration and I will hear a soft to moderate low pitch "clunk" from under the car and IMA will immediately disengage. It will typically occur in the lower speeds (20 - 55 miles per hour) and usually occurs only under light IMA acceleration.

I have owned it for about 3,500 miles (it has 21,600 miles right now) The dealer really wants to try to help, but all they can do is look at TSBs and fix those (which hasn't helped so far) Any ideas or further diagnostic questions?? I appreciate your time!
It is not a clunk you are hearing, you have the infamous muffled back fire therough the intake, it will seem and yes imitate it self like it is clunk. I think that is why more people are not aware of it, on my Accord Hybrid it sets off the CEL and records a multi cylinder misfire. Honda has no clue and is not interested in finding what the problem is.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:43 PM
We have an Accord!

If anyone has ever had the problem cured please please please post what was done so others may benefit as Honda has been no help at all with mine. I have had it with Honda.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:13 AM
Enthusiast

I believe that whatever cure there is (if it exists) is under wraps from Honda. I've been getting the runaround from Honda through a series of canned letters and phone calls from robots who are only permitted to say what is in the script. Dealers claim "no codes, no problems." I think Honda is a bit arrogant when it comes to their code readers as every single component in the car is NOT monitored or controlled by the ECM.

I even engaged an attorney who wrote a letter to Honda asking them to substantiate their claim that this is "normal operation." All we received in response was yet another canned letter, "We appreciate your business...bla bla....we want you to be satisfied....bla bla...Autoline is available for your convenience...bla bla. But...not a word answering the question. HAH Hee Hee just won her arbitration and Honda would not even answer her arbitrator's questions. So..finding a cure? I don't think it will happen unless the NHTSA forces them to, which would require disclosures that might hint at a design flaw.

That being said, if Honda is not willing to provide evidence to the fact that this issue is normal, then winning a Lemon Law case should be straightforward if you have your evidence in order (appropriate number of repairs, etc.).

I spoke with my state agency last week which requires 3 repairs, one final attempt to repair and then repurchase or replacement. Honda denied my final attempt to repair on two occasions (stating that there is NO problem to repair). I provided information to the state that a 3rd party subject matter expert examined the vehicle and drove it stating there is an abnormal problem (and they believe it is a misfire even though no error codes are registering). The state said I could skip the final attempt to repair and go forth with the process - yipppeeee! In my state, the law allows for dealer fees, taxes, interest and all (whereas the Autoline - as convenient as it is - does not).

If Honda had simply been responsive to my complaint and made an earnest attempt to diagnose and fix, I wouldn't be going down this road. Honda may make great cars, and they do (I owned a trouble-free '06 Civic Hybrid before the HAH), but when they have a bad apple....well....the many owners in this forum with the clunk / pop / misfire / backfire show how much Honda cares.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:43 PM
DieHard Hybrid Enthusiast

Trav,

GOOD luck in your Lemon Law pursuits! The same backfire thing continues on...should I just live with it?? Should I try the Lemon Law avenue?? Should I just wait and see "if" Honda does a fix for the HAH flaw?? Don't know

Once someone wins the Lemon Law, what does that give the owner?? What price do they buy it back for?? They don't give the original price back, do they?? What if you weren't the original owner, but the car is still under warranty??

I appreciate the time and I appreciate the post!

Jeff Jones

Old 11-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Enthusiast

Jeff -

Sorry for the delayed reply - been on the road for work. If I were you and if you are eligible, I'd certainly recommend the lemon law route. It doesn't cost you anything in most states. You just have to follow a fixed series of steps and as long as you do, you qualify and can get an arbitration. As far as the buyback price, this depends on the state also. In Georgia where I am, you take the miles X purchase price and then divide by 100,000. That is the deduction for mileage. The BBB autoline is very similar in their calculations. However, BBB autoline will not include taxes, doc fees or anything but the pure purchase price. In my state, the arbitration awards all of that back.

I doubt Honda will come up with a fix for this. It has been going on at least since 2006 as that is the year of HAH Hee Hee's hybrid (who won her arbtration for the pop). They are insisting too hard that it is not a problem for me to believe they care. G'luck in whatever you pursue on yours.