'06 Civics - which is the 'value' option ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 07:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: '06 Civics - which is the 'value' option ?

They ONLY list the Hybrid as a AT-PZEV.
ONLY the DX_LX_EX are ULEV-2

Old 09-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry - I continue to be vague in my 'value' equation...

(DX vs.) LX vs EX

DX doesn't have A/C (among other things), and to add it brings the cost up to an LX - so that's out.

There's only two items the EX has that I'd really want on an LX - rear disc brakes, and a variable speed windshield wiper (LX has the mist feature, but not variable). I think I could live without it, though, for a $2K price differential, and $5K on the hybrid.

I have auto climate control in my current Accord, and I do enjoy it. But I worry about 'peak oil' and the fragile quality of our petroleum procurement / distribution system, as evidenced by Katrina. Thus, I want a commuter car that gets the most mileage possible, but has enough room for 2-4 people, reliable as the sun rising in the sky every day, and no fewer safety features than I have with my current car. For me, that means '06 Civic; it now becomes a decision between LX or hybrid.

I drive a good 20K miles a year, but my commute is currently only 9600 of that amount. I could use auto-stop, but I won't FAS the car if I get the LX (except for way long stops, like a train). I worry about the gear reduction starter holding up for the long term - they're not cheap, as one poster alluded to.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

I bought my HCH with "Value" being a major consideration, but I was willing to pay a bit (not much) extra for a hybrid because of the coolness of the tech. With a long commute (20k+ miles/year) it is cheaper than an EX, and the higher the price of gas goes, the better it gets. I also bought my HCH as a hedge against higher gas prices as I saw a supply/demand crunch lasting several years minimum (and possibly long-term) with gas prices having nowhere to go but up during that time.

I did stumble across a much higher "value" option during my search however:

Scion (Toyota) Xa - if you can get past the looks it is fully loaded with everything but cruise and a sunroof (neither are available). $13k+ fees and 38 mpg EPA highway. :-)

Old 09-21-2005, 08:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hmm...38 highway, eh ? That's good - but it's not 40...LOL. Plus, I have a suspicion that it's easier to break EPA on a Honda powerplant than a 'Yota powerplant ? Not to mention that I have a problem with 'Yota seeming to sell the least car for the most money, compared to Honda, IMO. But this is Scion, after all Thx for the heads-up - I'll check one out soon.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If I remember correctly, the only thing missing from the hybrid relative to the EX is the sunroof and folding rear seat. Regardless, you'll never justify the incremental price difference on the hybrid when comparied to any other model. You have to want it for other reason. Personally, I am getting one because when gas gets to $5 a gallon I want to be prepared:

1) Not only will it be expensive, hybrids will be harder to find
2) I won't be able to get anything for my gas guzzling SUV

Also, I support the technology and limited emissions.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:28 AM

I wouldn't buy a hybrid to save money. If you do get a ROI, it'll be small and fairly insignificant most likely. Instead, the best way to save money is to keep driving your current car, or buy a used one if you need another. Buying a new car is not an act of saving money.