Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   2003 HCH Hybrid Battery Rebuild (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/2003-hch-hybrid-battery-rebuild-28549/)

Base430 01-28-2013 06:31 AM

2003 HCH Hybrid Battery Rebuild

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum. I hope I can find my answers here. I am sure these questions have been asked. But I have looked and there are no specifics on these issues.

So, I have started the Hybrid Battery Rebuild. I removed the battery yesterday. Which I believe was blown out of proportion by a lot of posters. One of the easiest things that I have done. I am fully aware of the fact of the high voltage. As long as you are careful to flip the switch. You should be fine. I broke the battery down to its individual sticks. And I have started charging the Cells. Once I charge then I will be Cycling them.

I have a few questions:

1. What was the charge rate you were using? I started using 3.3A. But I heard one of the batteries relieve pressure. So I backed down to 2.3A. And that seemed to work. I am using a Triton EQ charger for this.

2. I know there will be bad cells. Does anyone know where I could get individual sticks? If not, does anyone know where I could get a cheap pack. I will go ahead and test all those individually also.

Any advice, information or warnings would be helpful. Thank you again.

drozzin 02-13-2013 01:35 PM

Re: 2003 HCH Hybrid Battery Rebuild

I think 3.3A ad even 2.3A is too high of a current for this battery.
The normal charge rate should be C/10 which means about 0.65A.
With sophisticated charger the charge rate may be up to 1C or 6.5A for individual cell.
Since you are charging a group of cells connected in series I would go above 0.65A because the high charge current may overheat individual weak cells.

raydon 03-29-2013 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Base430 (Post 246711)
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum. I hope I can find my answers here. I am sure these questions have been asked. But I have looked and there are no specifics on these issues.

So, I have started the Hybrid Battery Rebuild. I removed the battery yesterday. Which I believe was blown out of proportion by a lot of posters. One of the easiest things that I have done. I am fully aware of the fact of the high voltage. As long as you are careful to flip the switch. You should be fine. I broke the battery down to its individual sticks. And I have started charging the Cells. Once I charge then I will be Cycling them.

I have a few questions:

1. What was the charge rate you were using? I started using 3.3A. But I heard one of the batteries relieve pressure. So I backed down to 2.3A. And that seemed to work. I am using a Triton EQ charger for this.

2. I know there will be bad cells. Does anyone know where I could get individual sticks? If not, does anyone know where I could get a cheap pack. I will go ahead and test all those individually also.

Any advice, information or warnings would be helpful. Thank you again.

skiracer8148 04-15-2013 10:17 PM

Interesting my HCH now has 230K on it so im pretty sure the battery is shot, I didn't know you could rebuild them.

tbaleno 04-18-2013 09:29 AM

Mine is still going okay (see a few ima lights occasionally but they go away.) I'm waiting to see if re-volt gets lithium pack developed for the HCH I this year. I'm too much of a coward to rebuild my own.