2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already)

I have concluded that my hybrid is bugged (fortunately by Honda and not the illegal type done by NSA). It couldn't have been more obvious.

My wife and I were driving from SF to our home in Ashland, Oregon last weekend. Most of Interstate 5 in Northern California is flat and uncongested (i.e. 65 mph). It was stormy; cool (40 degrees Fahrenheit) with a head wind. After about 315 miles trip "A" FE (according to the gauge) was running around 42 mpg. Then, at this point in this incredibly scenic journey, Interstate 5 begins a long descent into the Klamath River Canyon. We watched as the FE climbed up to 87 MPG. Outstanding !!!! but not the FE for the trip but rather the FE while coasting (the instantaneous meter was buried). Actual FE for the 341 mi trip was 41.6 mpg.

I have not ventured back to the Dealer.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:28 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hchowner
I bought a 2006 HCH in November by December the hybrid engine light (IMA), battery light and the check engine indicators went on. The hybrid engine shuts down and will only work with the gas engine. The car has been at the dealership and they still don't know what is wrong. Anyone else experience similar or other problems already with their 2006 HCH?
I am having exactly the same problems. My car is at the dealership now ( it has been for a week). I purchased the car and drove it for exactly 2 weeks before the lights came on and the car worked with the gas engine only. Have they fixed the problem yet? I am worried now.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already) IMA, battery, and check engine light

Yes they fixed the problem by basically replacing couple of controllers, rotor position sensor and the rotor itself. I was told it took a full day to do, and a couple of days to order all the parts. The person working on the car told me that they had to pull the transmission to get to the rotor. Originally the dealership could not read the computer codes and since I live in SoCal, Honda Corporate had taken the car to their headquarters. They both had the car for over 35 days and I had to take the car in three times before they were able to figure out what was wrong. They put over 1000 miles and got me one ticket by running a toll lane. I had to make many phone calls to the dealership and corporate. Couple times they did not know where my car was and I would get conflicting information; its fixed, its not fixed, pick up the car, do not pick up the car. The dealership told me once that they did not have the service manual for the car nor the software to read the computer codes out and were waiting for corporate. Corporate then told me they could not help the dealership diagnose the problem because the person that knew about the controller was on vacation that week and the following week told me he was out sick. I am not sure if the problem is really fixed, it still seems to have some random problems. The car has stalled once when I took my foot of the brake, kind of interesting in a hybrid, the electric motor keeps trying to restart the gas engine but then the gas engine keeps stalling. One time the electric motor would not assist more than 3 bars when I was trying to accelerate, RPM went up but the electric motor would not assist. My mileage is not very good either, about 30 to 35 MPG. I was originally getting about 40 to 45 MPG before the problem. This maybe due to the fact that the LA carpool lanes are filling up with more hybrids and my drive is becoming more stop and go. Also the car is rattling in a couple of places, I think they had to pull the back seats and plastic panels to get to some of the parts. Of course I have the 62/63 mile reset bug, the buzzing noise and lurching when you hit the brakes, which the other HCH-IIs owners have talked about. I would recommend getting the extended warranty if you plan on keep your car beyond the warranty period. Honda is replacing my car and I plan on getting the extended warranty soon after I take possession of the new one. I have seen couple of posts on this forum and other forums that have had electrical problems with their HCH-I and HCH-II. Good luck with yours and I can say I empathies how you are feeling.

Last edited by hchowner; 05-05-2006 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hchowner
Well Honda Headquarterssays they are working on replacing my car, but are having a hard time finding a replacement since most cars have already been allocated to the dealerships. It might be a couple of weeks or longer before I see a new car. Today I also got a toll evasion violation fine; someone from Honda drove my car through the express lane without a transponder while they were trying to diagnose the problem. Not sure what they were thinking?
This is an outrage! Save the receipt, and make them pay for it. If they refuse, take them to small claim court. Sorry to hear many bad things happened to you. Best of luck!

Old 05-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Wow, hchowner, that is a bummer. Are you starting to look into the lemon laws? Sounds like you definitely have a yellow one.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already) IMA, battery, and check engine light

Originally Posted by Ethanqt
This is an outrage! Save the receipt, and make them pay for it. If they refuse, take them to small claim court. Sorry to hear many bad things happened to you. Best of luck!

I submitted the fine to Honda, I am assuming they paid the ticket since I have not received a penalty notices. It is just the inconvenience and the annoyance of having to deal with this on top of the fact that my car is not working. I also having to prove that I did not have the car when the toll evasion happened.

Last edited by hchowner; 05-06-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toast64
Wow, hchowner, that is a bummer. Are you starting to look into the lemon laws? Sounds like you definitely have a yellow one.
Honda is replacing it without me going through the lemon law, but either way it has been a long and aggravating process dealing with this problem.

Last edited by hchowner; 05-06-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Enthusiast

I had a similar problem with the first one that I got about 6 weeks ago. About 2 hours after I got it home, the warning lights (IMA, Engine, Battery) came on and the IMA system would neither charge nor assist. Dealer was very good about it though, sent a technician out at 6pm to pick the car back up and leave a loaner. (Dealer is 1 1/2 hours away in another state) After about 2 weeks of replacing some sensor and trying a new battery pack, they eventually replaced the entire car with a new one.

Old 05-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Enthusiast

Sounds like your experience went much smother than mine. I had to wait a month while they tried to fix it, I could write a book on all the issues I had with the loaner cars they provided, (broken door, breaking problems, check engine light, recall on one of the cars they loaned me, time wasted exchanging cars, really small car to full size truck, dirty/smelly cars), and had to wait another three months for my replacement. Good luck with your new one.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

i'm at 4k miles on my 06 and this afternoon, after starting the car, the ima, battery and check engine lights went on. the ima and battery lights have since gone out but the check engine light is still on. i have a call out to the dealer but can someone tell me if they have had a similar problem and what the problem/solution is"?

Quick Reply: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands