Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Airbag warning light (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/airbag-warning-light-4019/)

clayk 10-07-2005 08:05 PM

Airbag warning light

Tonight, after making a hard stop to avoid a collision, My "side airbag off" light came on. it went off soon after but continued to go on and off at intervals. Anyone seen this?

BTW: 05 HCH with CVT

Clay

doppler 10-07-2005 09:31 PM

Re: Airbag warning light

My "side airbag off" light came on briefly the other day, and though it was curious, I can't recall what the situation was at the time. I remember I was stopped though.

rigger 10-07-2005 10:30 PM

Ahhhhh, I bet you had something in the passenger seat. Purse, briefcase, grocery bag? Basically when something is in the seat at a particular angle it'll switch the side airbag off, a safety feature. It happens to me when my dog is sitting in the pax seat.

Hope that helped. You can read more about it in your owner's manual, it actually covers it.

AL

clayk 10-08-2005 01:00 PM

Yep, that was it. I was downloading pictures to my laptop on my drive home. When I ht the brakes the laptop slid a bit and I had to make a grab for it. Thanks

Clay

bluecivichybrid 10-08-2005 03:11 PM

rigger, does this apply to 2004 civic hybrids like the one I have? I believe that 04 hch comes standard with side airbags, but I've put stuff on the front seat and have never seen the side airbag off light come on.

rigger 10-08-2005 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by bluecivichybrid
rigger, does this apply to 2004 civic hybrids like the one I have? I believe that 04 hch comes standard with side airbags, but I've put stuff on the front seat and have never seen the side airbag off light come on.

Something has to pretty much hit it just the right (or wrong) way for it to disengage the airbag. It's happened to me maybe 3 times in the last 2 1/2 years and 37,000 miles. I also toss stuff in the front pax seat all the time (including the wife) :zip:.

bluecivichybrid 10-08-2005 03:38 PM

thanks rigger.
i hope you don't actually toss your wife into the passenger seat though. :P

rigger 10-08-2005 03:41 PM

I try, too heavy..... I mean I'm a weakling. Yeah, that's what I meant to say. :zip:

zimbop 10-08-2005 03:43 PM

In my 2004 HCH, whenever i have something on the seat, especially my brief case, the "airbag off" light comes on.

ECamacho 11-10-2005 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by zimbop
In my 2004 HCH, whenever i have something on the seat, especially my brief case, the "airbag off" light comes on.

I have this light come on and off on my dash when driving for no reason. I have a 2004 HCH manual transmission. I have had items on the seat but it did not seem to have a consistent affect on the "Side Airbag Off" light turning on or off.