Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Are all 2006 HCH AT-PZEV? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/all-2006-hch-pzev-4799/)

moosh 12-01-2005 08:52 AM

Are all 2006 HCH AT-PZEV?

According to honda.com, AT-PZEV models will achieve lower FE. The brochure says that the Hybrid is AT-PZEV. So are all 06 HCHs AT-PZEV?

AZCivic 12-01-2005 09:17 AM

Re: Are all 2006 HCH AT-PZEV?

Yes, they are all AT-PZEV. The 03-05 had two different versions depending on what state you're in, but the '06 is only sold in AT-PZEV form.

CGameProgrammer 12-01-2005 09:36 AM

There actually are some minor modifications to 2006's that are sold in the CARB states, I think related to reducing vapor emissions (reinforced gas tanks or some such thing) but it doesn't affect FE to my knowledge and it doesn't affect price. It is more expensive to build but Honda eats the cost. They still all are classified as PZEV though.

Double-Trinity 12-01-2005 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
There actually are some minor modifications to 2006's that are sold in the CARB states, I think related to reducing vapor emissions (reinforced gas tanks or some such thing) but it doesn't affect FE to my knowledge and it doesn't affect price. It is more expensive to build but Honda eats the cost. They still all are classified as PZEV though.

I thought the reinforced tank for zero evaporative emissions was actually part of the PZEV rating itself. That is why for the HCH-Is, the PZEV version had the smaller capacity gas tank.

CGameProgrammer 12-01-2005 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Double-Trinity
I thought the reinforced tank for zero evaporative emissions was actually part of the PZEV rating itself. That is why for the HCH-Is, the PZEV version had the smaller capacity gas tank.

That's true, but the '06 HCH sold in CARB states in still different from the one sold in non-CARB states, because it has some modifications done to reduce the emissions of certain pollutants. Maybe it wasn't evaporative emissions, I can't remember. Someone posted a link showing the pollution levels of the cars but I can't remember it.

gonavy 12-01-2005 01:25 PM

The only substantial difference in PZEV vs SULEVII/Bin2 is that PZEV requires a 150k mile warrantee on all emissions stuff, among other things IIRC. The previous HCHs and other PZEVs only got the beefed up piece parts in the states that have PZEV to meet the warrantee reqs. If the car was registered out of the state, the PZEV warrantee went away too.

I didn't know Honda decided to make ALL the HCHIIs sold to the same parts list-

Xcel can weigh in definitively, no doubt.

ralph_dog 12-01-2005 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
That's true, but the '06 HCH sold in CARB states in still different from the one sold in non-CARB states, because it has some modifications done to reduce the emissions of certain pollutants. Maybe it wasn't evaporative emissions, I can't remember. Someone posted a link showing the pollution levels of the cars but I can't remember it.

I read an article on DOT website that basically says, PZEV's produce less pollution while running than a std vehicle emits while parked in your driveway (engine off). Probably because of the 0 evap requirements for PZEV's.

xcel 12-01-2005 09:02 PM

Hi All:

___When you finally see the emission differences between the 5-clean state ratings and the rest of us, I do not believe the HCH-II’s use any different HW vs. the much different ULEV/PZEV based HCH-I’s in the past. The same specialized and more robust CAT, MAF, robust evap fittings, and tank are on all but in CA. and the other 4, you have LS gasoline. At least I have not read of any differences myself just yet? Expect the HCH-II to nail Tier II-Bin2 just as the 03-05 HCH-I AT-PZEV’s did. The EPA has yet to post the HCH-II scores but when they do, some of us will be going over them with a fine tooth comb …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes