Anyone put Lo-Jack on your HCH?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 02:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone put Lo-Jack on your HCH?

Dealing with a stolen car was, for me at least, an expensive, time consuming, stressful, bureaucratic experience. While having a Lo-Jack and a quick recovery wouldn’t have alleviated all of the above, it certainly would have made my life a lot easier. One factor to consider is where you live and how large a factor automobile theft is in your area. Speaking from the perspective of someone who’s been though it, I find the added peace of mind worthwhile.

Old 04-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HCH2LA
Dealing with a stolen car was, for me at least, an expensive, time consuming, stressful, bureaucratic experience. While having a Lo-Jack and a quick recovery wouldn’t have alleviated all of the above, it certainly would have made my life a lot easier. One factor to consider is where you live and how large a factor automobile theft is in your area. Speaking from the perspective of someone who’s been though it, I find the added peace of mind worthwhile.

Fair enough. As I mentioned, I am admittedly naive about that because I've never dealt with more than a break-in. I can imagine it's a real PITA, but I have decided to not worry about it too much. If it happens then I'll be miserable perhaps, but if I spend all that hassle to try to prevent it, I may be miserable either way. :-)

Old 05-01-2006, 07:06 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

According to our dealer (who was pushing the system), thanks to LoJack, thieves will steal a car then leave it somewhere for a few days to see if the cops find it. They don't take it straight to the chop shop.

I figured it was worth it for peace of mind. My brother in law keep saying "but would you really want it back?" That's a gamble.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:18 AM

http://www.statefarm.com/insuranc/au...s/grndthft.htm

From what this says, we are not that in danger...yet.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by clyde2575
My aunt works for United Auto here in Phoenix and I ws going to get the Lo-Jack installed that told you if your car was moved without you knowing. I selected this one because I live in an apartment and if it is stolen, chances are that I would not know for like 6 hours and by then it is either trashed or in Mexico. She said that they are having trouble with that version and not to get it. Not sure about the other options but if they are having trouble with it...why spend the money? Just be sure to get GAP insurance.
I am with you Jessica. If it gets stolen, I don't want it back.

Old 05-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast

http://www.statefarm.com/insuranc/au...s/grndthft.htm

From what this says, we are not that in danger...yet.
Anyone know why older cars are targeted more by car thieves when it would seem like they would target newer, higher value cars?

I'm guessing it's because newer cars have more sophisticated theft deterrents that make them harder to steal, but I would think the thieves would find ways around them. In any event it's good to see that newer Civics are not on the list of high theft cars.

Last edited by dalemccl; 05-01-2006 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by dalemccl
Anyone know why older cars are targeted more by car thieves when it would seem like they would target newer, higher value cars?
There was just a police man at our apartment complex talking about vehicle safety and theft prevention. I asked that same question...he said that it is becuase they steal the cars for replacement parts and they are not yet needed on newer cars.

Not sure if it is the right answer but that is what Officer Santa Cruz told me.

Jessica

Old 05-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast

There was just a police man at our apartment complex talking about vehicle safety and theft prevention. I asked that same question...he said that it is becuase they steal the cars for replacement parts and they are not yet needed on newer cars.

Not sure if it is the right answer but that is what Officer Santa Cruz told me.

Jessica
Seems like a logical answer. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by dalemccl

I'm guessing it's because newer cars have more sophisticated theft deterrents that make them harder to steal, but I would think the thieves would find ways around them. In any event it's good to see that newer Civics are not on the list of high theft cars.
Newer Civics are also a lot harder to steal and so are other newer vehicles. Older vehicles in a nutshell could be started mostly mechinacally whereas new cars have to be started by the computer, ie the computer reads a computer chip in the key to start the car. A lot of these newer systems will shut down if their wires are cut to attempt a hot wire making the car unable to start.

I say save your $800 or whatever it cost for the lojack and invest in a $24 Club from wal mart. With either lojack, the club or any other theft device if a theif wants your car they will get it. At least with the Cklub it provides a visual theft deterant and helps to make the car undriveable unless the theif takes the time to remove the steering wheel with the club on it, install a new one and then hot wire the car. The club also provides protection from getting your car towed as well. If you turn the wheel of the car either to the far right or left and then put the club on it keeps the car from being able to be pulled straight out of a parking spot, and to 'steer' when in tow.
That my 2 cents.

Old 05-01-2006, 06:07 PM

Tow truck drivers these days carry a dolly. The dolly attaches to your (turned, in your case) front tires so that the truck can pull you out of your parking space. It happens rather quickly. They'll back up to a vehicle, attach the dolly, hook the car, and take off with it in less than 1 minute. Then they get a safe distance away or even around a block before they pull over to secure the vehicle with straps and chains before bringing it back to the yard.

Also, I've known individuals that have cut through The Club in less than two minutes. It's only really a deterrent for inexperienced joyriders.

Most late model cars are stolen for it's replacement parts value. Some of the more theft prone cars are the ones younger guys tend to "rice" out. You know the kinds; kids that think they're street racers...

If your car is stolen, would you want it back while the car is sitting on some desolate street, when the thief is awaiting to see if it's a LoJack car? Or after the car has been thrashed for three or four weeks? With LoJack, there's a better chance you'll get it back before any real damage is done. Although, I'm not saying LoJack is the cure-all. Just another option that's worthy of consideration. The best theft deterrent is where you decide to park it.

Quick Reply: Anyone put Lo-Jack on your HCH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands