Audio PC Card Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Audio PC Card Question

Originally Posted by TheOcean
I just received my 4GB SD card in the mail and I seem to be having problems with it. When I put it in my laptop, it says I need to format the card. When I select yes, it shows 955MB as the Capacity, which is obviously wrong. If I format to FAT32, will it then show the correct capacity? More importantly, will the navi unit be able to read the card in FAT32 or will it have problems? I tried the SD card on my friends Mac Laptop and it read it fine @ 3.72GBs, and didn't need to format it. I was able to drag mp3 files into it and it ended up working in the car! I'm just afraid if I format it to FAT32 that it will no longer work, but I can't access the card at all on my PC or laptop unless I do. If it doesn't work, will I be able to deformat it back to it's original state?
Both the FAT and FAT 32 formatting work. If you format to FAT 32 and want to go back to FAT you can reformat, hoever you will lose what ever is on the card unless you back it up elseware. The problem your are dealing with could be your card reader.

Old 04-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Being

ARGHH... I ended up formatting it to FAT32 and now it shows only 955MB capacity! I don't know what to do now, b/c I tried FAT as well, and I'm still having the same problem!

Old 04-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Being

Ugh, ever since I formatted the card to FAT32, not only is it 955MB's now, it won't even play any music on my navi unit anymore. It worked when I didn't format it, but only my friend's MAC laptop would access it unformatted & transfer files in and out. To make matters worse, I cant bring it back to it's original state... I tried formatting it to FAT and it's the same deal... 955MBs and doesn't work in the car . Any ideas?

Last edited by TheOcean; 04-26-2006 at 04:24 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you ever find a way to format it so it works in the car again, let me know. I still have five SD cards I can't use because of the same reason!

Old 04-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Nerd

Originally Posted by TheOcean
I just received my 4GB SD card in the mail and I seem to be having problems with it.
What is the brand and model # of the SD card?
What is the brand and model of the PCMCIA adapter?
What OS is the laptop running?

Old 04-27-2006, 03:35 AM
Being

Originally Posted by guicide
What is the brand and model # of the SD card?
What is the brand and model of the PCMCIA adapter?
What OS is the laptop running?
It's a PQI 4GB 150x hi-speed SD card, model #AE40-4030R

The PCMCIA adapter is a generic 6 in 1 card adapter. I have also tried a generic USB SD card reader and additionally the dedicated SD slot in my laptop, all with the same results. My laptop and computer both use Windows XP Pro (tried both).

When I tested on my friend's MAC laptop, it read the card fine, unformatted @ the correct capacity. I was able to drag files in and out too, and it worked in the car as well! Now that I formatted the card to FAT32 on my computer, it no longer works, and I don't even know how to get it back to it's original state (tried reformatted to FAT as well w/o any luck)!

Old 04-27-2006, 05:11 AM
Enthusiast

Did you try HTFS?

Old 04-27-2006, 05:57 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PeakOil
Did you try HTFS?
Was that a typo? Did you mean NTFS? I apologize if I'm the one mistaken..

Old 04-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

NTFS DOES NOT work. I tried that formatting originally. As far as not being able to reformat to a new file structure I am not sure what the problem may be. By any chance the card isn't locked with write protection switch or with software ?

Old 04-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Remember the command line in MS-DOS? You should be able to get into it from Win XP, from Accessories, go to command prompt, switch to whatever drive the card seems to be assigned to, and use the format command. Then defrag the card. You will clean it out.

Quick Reply: Audio PC Card Question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands