Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Auto Stop doesn't alway work (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/auto-stop-doesnt-alway-work-5668/)

Tazman 01-27-2006 03:09 PM

Auto Stop doesn't alway work

When I am coming to a stop, the Auto Stop doesn't always work. Is their a trick to doing this? I don't pump the break or anything I just slowly slow down but always keeping pressure on the break until stopped. I sometimes have to stop at railroad tracks for 5-10 minutes while the train goes by. The Auto Stop is great at that time.

:confused:

sskeeter 01-27-2006 03:21 PM

Re: Auto Stop doesn't alway work

Car needs to be warmed up could be your issue in cold Denver.

Tazman 01-27-2006 03:33 PM

No right now we are above average and been that way for awhile 50+. Also I drive 45 miles to work and it is when I get almost to work I have to stop several times. Once I leave home my car is warmed up before I get to the highway 2 miles away. So are you saying that the Auto Stop doesn't work when the car isn't warmed up.

sskeeter 01-27-2006 03:37 PM

Dealer told me auto-stop wouldn't work unless the car was at operating temp. Seems to be consistent with what I've observed.

ElanC 01-27-2006 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tazman
When I am coming to a stop, the Auto Stop doesn't always work. Is their a trick to doing this? I don't pump the break or anything I just slowly slow down but always keeping pressure on the break until stopped. I sometimes have to stop at railroad tracks for 5-10 minutes while the train goes by. The Auto Stop is great at that time.

:confused:

Auto stop won't work when the engine is cold. It also won't work if you've got the windshield defrost on and you haven't manually shut off the A/C. (The A/C is used to dry the air hitting the windshield).

lkewin 01-27-2006 09:09 PM

Tazman (Scott); Since your driving an older ('04) HCH, I am not sure what Honda had in the manual back then, but being the owner of an '06, I know the manual spells out several condtions that need to be met or Auto Stop will not engage (stop). I think most of them have been covered, but here is the list:
  • Engine coolantis near normal operating Temp
  • Shifter in D or N
  • Foot on brake / Not on Gas
  • IMA Battery is charged enough to operate the system
  • Fan Speed - lowr fan speed in AUTO or manual mode
  • Outside temp 10-100 degrees F
  • Front Window defrost off
  • Must have sped up to at least 8 MPH
Again things may have changed between '04 and '06, but I hope this helps

mochisushi 01-27-2006 09:43 PM

Tazman,
On a side note...Great to hear from a fellow Denver area HCH owner. If you see me in my Magnetic Pearl '06, honk and wave more than one finger!

Tim 01-27-2006 09:46 PM

Tazman,

Your owners manual will list all the conditions for your 04. There's a lot more to it than simply temperature (which needs to be > 41 degrees). It also checks brakes, battery...it's quite a list.

06 HCH in Georgetown TX 01-28-2006 05:59 PM

Big difference from earlier models, the auto stop will work most of the time in stop and go traffic, even when not going past 5 mph. Course like all others, must be warmed up, no defrost on...and a few other things. But the 06 does it better, and more often, than previous models.

APuzer 08-23-2012 06:39 AM

2004 Civic Hybrid Automatic

My auto stop has an issue, and I have gone thru the list and am clueless.

When fan is OFF, works perfect.

When A/C is on and in Econ mode, (not on defroster/etc) it NEVER auto stops. It used to, but it has stopped doing so.

All the conditions for the auto stop have been met. Any ideas how to trouble shoot this? Nothing in Honda repair manual that I can see.