Brake job

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Resident ICE Wizard
Default Re: Brake job

nope, put plenty on... I think it may have something to do with the ceramic pads. They are supposed to produce less dust, but I haven't noticed any less. I really think I should have turned the rotors. I'm getting a big brake kit in February anyway, and changing the rears to disk at the same time, it'll go away then.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I doubt machining the rotors will stop the squeal, more likely the new pads are the culprits. I've never had problems using the honda parts.

I think our dealership is too quick to machine rotors, basically doing it with every inspection. I've gone years with some cars without having the dealership do anything, doing both inspection and occasional replacement of pads. Never machined, no issues. It just hastens taking your disks down to min. thickness.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Brake Squeal

Did you chamfer the leading and trailing edges of the pads before you installed them? In addition there are several anti-vibration coatings for the piston contact side of the pad that will help quiet the pad, but the most effective thing is chamfering the them. A bench grinder works best for this.

Just sticking in these type of pads will almost always result in noisy braking.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Resident ICE Wizard

no, I didn't. didn't even think about it. I'll have to pay attention next time