Civic hybrid 06 driving technic summary thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 02:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Civic hybrid 06 driving technic summary thread

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
Well, I was thinking of the complete newcomer who may not be aware that all gliding modes in the HCH-II consume zero fuel. That's based on many of the questions that have been asked here.
It can be confusing for a newcomer either way. If we call it a ZF Glide people may assume there is also a non-ZF Glide.

Old 12-21-2005, 04:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well,

this is all interesting. Basically, my intent behind the term is to make it clear that in that technic, no gas was consumed, assited or not. See, even with some assist, the engine still consumes no gas even though it is an 'assisted' glide.

Again, I don't mind changing the term but, it needs to be easy to understand for newbies.

Thanks,
Stephane.

Old 12-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Brains of the Operation

I initially thought that "ZF Glide" sounded pretty cool and really captured the purpose of the technique, but I think you're all right in that it could cause confusion about the existence of a non-ZF Glide. I think that AG, NG, and RG do the trick nicely. AG replaces the slightly-cooler-but-more-cumbersome "EV-mode" that we've been using previously.

Old 12-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Brains of the Operation

Stephane,

Do you have plans to submit this as an article to the "Learn" section of the website? I realize it's still a work in progress, but maybe that would make your guide more accessible?

Old 12-21-2005, 05:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi Robby,

Eventually, it will make it to the "learn" section, but, it needs a solid version first. There are still a few outstanding questions. Once some of these questions are answered, it will make it to the learn section.

Thanks,
Stephane.

Originally Posted by Civic Duty
Stephane,

Do you have plans to submit this as an article to the "Learn" section of the website? I realize it's still a work in progress, but maybe that would make your guide more accessible?

Old 12-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Active Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: Civic hybrid 06 driving technic summary thread

Stephane, I was wondering if you might put something about "driving to load" in your instructions. I have a vague idea of what that means, but a real how-to on that would be a welcome addition to this thread/guide.

Thanks,

Don

Old 06-28-2007, 05:01 AM
Enthusiast

I'm having a little trouble with this technique, especially at 60 mph. I glide fine and can hit the gas some to prevent so much regen at once. However, the engine seems to kick in even with 0 or 1 bars of regen showing. This drops the mpg indicator significantly.

Can someone explain in a little more detail about the Assist? When I use 4-5 bars of assist, I'm usually getting around 20 mpg. When I'm gliding at 100 mpg and then try to use the assist my mpg plummets.

I know this takes practice, but my 42 mile trip to work is starting to look like 47 mpg versus the 52 mpg that I was getting. I'm trying this technique and others in order to try to improve on my regular routine.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've noticed some issues getting assist in certain situations at highway speeds as well. I haven't been diligent enough in noting the behavior in order to clearly state what the conditions are, but I think it has to do with coasting down a hill.

For instance, it seems on a flat road I find it relatively easy to let up on the gas to get max mpg, apply some pressure to get rid of any regen and then keep both meters empty or get some assist going by applying a little more pressure, basically being in EV-mode. However, on the downward slope of a hill I often find that I get this one stubborn bar of regen and even if I carefully apply gas pressure just to get rid of that bar, the engine kicks in and my mpg drop, and I'm unable to move into EV-mode at all in that situation. It's almost like it's forcing regen, but it happens at times when I have a nearly full battery (we're talking 6 bars on the battery meter).

I've found I'm really only concerned with maximizing my EV-mode usage in city or suburban driving in traffic. On the highway I've found it much easier to keep the instantaneous mpg somewhere between the 50mpg and 100mpg on a very consistant basis, and I've been content doing that rather than having much lower instantaneous mpg sections in order to get maxed out periods of instantaneous mpg. Maintaining the middle-ground between 50 and 100 allows me to keep my speed more consistant, which I suppose is just a preference thing and how I feel comfortable driving on the highway.

If I'm completely alone on a stretch though I'll try and go into EV-mode if possible, but only on stretches I know I can get into it on and on which I know my momentum won't drop so much - that's just a matter of learning the terrain of the commute.

Last edited by teiresias; 06-28-2007 at 08:47 AM. Reason: change some instances of "assist" to "regen" - oops
Old 06-28-2007, 06:18 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by zakariah1
I'm having a little trouble with this technique, especially at 60 mph. I glide fine and can hit the gas some to prevent so much regen at once. However, the engine seems to kick in even with 0 or 1 bars of regen showing. This drops the mpg indicator significantly.

Can someone explain in a little more detail about the Assist? When I use 4-5 bars of assist, I'm usually getting around 20 mpg. When I'm gliding at 100 mpg and then try to use the assist my mpg plummets.
You're stepping too hard+too fast, which causes the gas engine to kick in, your CVT ratio to drop, and the car to think "fasterfasterfasterfasterfaster!!!!" But at highway speeds, ev-glide isn't particularly feasible anyways, our battery packs aren't big enough unless you're on a downward slope. Try practicing this technique at more mundane speeds (15-25 or so)... it's a LOT easier in that range, and will help you get a feel for how tiny pressure changes on the pedal can make a big difference in how the car reacts.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

1. It's not common to be in EV mode at highway speeds -- if it lasts more than one or two seconds, it's only gonna happen when you're running downhill.

2. If you ever see more than 4 bars assist, *the gas engine is on*. Period. (I've read of one exception ever -- someone claiming 5 bars assist in EV mode -- and I'm pretty sure that driver needed to check their eyeglasses prescription.) The system doesn't allow full electric assist (all bars) unless the engine is firing too. That's the difference between an HCH and a Prius.

--doug

Quick Reply: Civic hybrid 06 driving technic summary thread

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands