Default Honda Civic Hybrid '06 - is there a break-in period for higher fuel efficienc

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 06:50 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default Re: Default Honda Civic Hybrid '06 - is there a break-in period for higher fuel efficienc

Originally Posted by bluesesshomaru17
When you said 'dry' weather I know you were talking about rain ... but it made me think about humidity ... does this factor in at all with MPG, or is it one enviromental que that makes no difference?
It's been mentioned before that air density may have something to do with mileage (thinner air = less energy to overcome wind resistance). I'm not sure how humidity would relate to air density. My amateur observation would be that air with a lot of moisture would be more dense than dry air. I couldn't begin to speculate whether it makes any noticeable difference in the car. Hot and cold sure does....

Old 01-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Default Honda Civic Hybrid '06 - is there a break-in period for higher fuel effic

Originally Posted by Tim
It's been mentioned before that air density may have something to do with mileage (thinner air = less energy to overcome wind resistance). I'm not sure how humidity would relate to air density. My amateur observation would be that air with a lot of moisture would be more dense than dry air. I couldn't begin to speculate whether it makes any noticeable difference in the car. Hot and cold sure does....
Actually, humid air is less dense than dry air (pure water vapor weighs less than pure air, surprisingly enough!), but the effect of humidity on air density is much smaller than the effects of temperature and atmospheric pressure, so it's probably a negligible effect on FE.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default Re: Default Honda Civic Hybrid '06 - is there a break-in period for higher fuel effic

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
Actually, humid air is less dense than dry air (pure water vapor weighs less than pure air, surprisingly enough!), but the effect of humidity on air density is much smaller than the effects of temperature and atmospheric pressure, so it's probably a negligible effect on FE.
That's surprising! Too bad high humidity usually requires use of the A/C.