EV (electric-only) mode finally spotted in 06 HCH!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: EV (electric-only) mode finally spotted in 06 HCH!

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
When you touch the accelerator pedal the braking is removed but the engine is turned on again.
What I've seen is that if you press the accelerator gently enough, you can cancel regen without turning the engine back on (unless the SoC is very low). It took some practice before I could press it that gently though.

Old 11-19-2005, 09:20 AM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: EV (electric-only) mode finally spotted in 06 HCH!

What does SoC stand for?

I'm really lost with some of these Abbrev. Would not hurt my feelings at all to see a list in (Plain-English) on this thread as to what the Abbrev. is and the (Spelled-Out-Term-In-Full-English).

This is a "Really-Great" Thread CGameProgrammer, Excel ; you all are covering alot of territory that alot of us with the 06 HCHs are interested in.

Thanks Guys;
Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 11-19-2005 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Spelling oops :(
Old 11-19-2005, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
What does SoC stand for?
Terry

I'm really lost with some of these Abbrev.
Would not hurt my feelings at all to see a list in (Plain-English)
Terry
SoC = State of Charge (battery level)

Don't feel bad, I had no idea what these acronyms were either, until I found the GreenHybrid glossary (see the link at the top of the page)

Old 11-19-2005, 09:27 AM
G.H. Contributor
Talking Re: EV (electric-only) mode finally spotted in 06 HCH!

Thank-You

Terry

Old 11-19-2005, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by xcel
___About the high speed technique. All I want you to do is perform a HS-P&G (High Speed Pulse and Glide) using your new found high speed Quasi-EV like mode. Accelerate without assist to 65 mph and EV/Glide back down to 45 mph. Repeat …
Ahhh, 'accelerate without assist'! That was the part I was missing. I was using 50% assist on the pulse, but no regen on the glide, so my battery level kept dropping. Once the SoC gets down below a certain level, it won't let me cancel out the regen on a glide. Any throttle pressure starts the ICE back up so it can keep the regen going. Once the SoC gets back up, I can go back into fuel-less glide.

Now that I'm clear on what you mean by HS-P&G, I'm a bit confused. Since you are not using assist on the pulse, and not using regen on the glide, it seems like you are essentially 'turning off' all of the hybrid features of the car. I mean, you could use this technique to get great mileage on any car, the hybrid just makes it easier to turn off fuel in the glide. In my 99 Accord MT, I can do it by popping into neutral and turning off the key. How does the fact that it's a hybrid help the mileage?

Old 11-19-2005, 10:06 AM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: EV (electric-only) mode finally spotted in 06 HCH!

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
Ahhh, 'accelerate without assist'! That was the part I was missing. I was using 50% assist on the pulse, but no regen on the glide, so my battery level kept dropping. Once the SoC gets down below a certain level, it won't let me cancel out the regen on a glide. Any throttle pressure starts the ICE back up so it can keep the regen going. Once the SoC gets back up, I can go back into fuel-less glide.

Now that I'm clear on what you mean by HS-P&G, I'm a bit confused. Since you are not using assist on the pulse, and not using regen on the glide, it seems like you are essentially 'turning off' all of the hybrid features of the car. I mean, you could use this technique to get great mileage on any car, the hybrid just makes it easier to turn off fuel in the glide. In my 99 Accord MT, I can do it by popping into neutral and turning off the key. How does the fact that it's a hybrid help the mileage?
Hi; I was as usual reading this Thread and I think I can give this question a shot. You know what the truth is about this very thing? The real only difference is with the HCH ll is that it has a (Very-Small) and Highly Efficient ICE.
A "If-You-Will" plain Gas Vehicle, regardless of it being a car, suv, truck or whatever (Does-Not) have the (Usually) small highly Efficient Gas Engine that the (Hybrids-Have).

So I may be doing a Poor job of explaining this here, your right there is (NO-Difference) at all in doing the same things you are talking about on the Hybrids versus (NON-Hybrids) other than the Smaller ICE and the CVT plus in some cases the Hvbrids are more Aerodynatic as well.

The other thing that comes to my mind, is that with the Hybrids they are (Really) designed for the "Average-Person" to be driven and under just normal every day driving either in stop and go or hwy. They give really alot better (FE) than the same vehicle without the New Technology that has been developed for and in use on (As-An-Example) the 2006 HCH ll. The Hybrids are doing it for the Driver in everyday driving without the Driver really participating to any large degree (IMO).

The Hypermilers are (IMO) just taking the Hybrids to the "Next-Level" in FE. The Hypermilers do the same thing with FE in (NON-Hybrids) but the results compared to the Hybrids are not as drastic, simply because of the difference in the two technologies. (HYBRIDS/NON-HYBRIDS)

Terry

Old 11-19-2005, 12:08 PM

Terry is mostly correct. In truth, when you accelerate without assist, you are accelerating for a longer period of time than you would if you let the electric motors help you, which does use more gas. But we have seen that the gas savings in using assist is usually dwarfed by the gas wasted compensating for the car's tendency to employ regeneration. It would be one thing if the battery were recharged only when braking... that would be best of all.

However, it would not be good for people like me who actually like to reach our cruising speed sometime before we reach our destination. The electrical assist compensates for the engine's weakness, and the reason the engine is weak in the first place is because it usually allows for more efficient cruising. (This depends on exactly how weak the engine is and now aerodynamic the car is.)

Old 11-19-2005, 12:33 PM

That's true, I guess another way of looking at it is that the IMA system is not there to improve mileage, it's there to make up for the anemic ICE so that the car performs like most people expect. The real fuel savings comes from

A) A smaller, very FE ICE
B) shutting of the ICE whenever possible

You might get the same FE if you disabled IMA, but the car would be much less responsive.

Old 11-19-2005, 02:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi ElanC:

___Do you know how you sustain > 110 mpg from a Prius II when the Prius II commercials are telling us how great Regen is? You Do Not Use Any!
Right, technically it's better not to use regen. We are approaching this discussion from different viewpoints. You're thinking like a hypermiler who only cares about maximizing FE, whatever it takes. I would rather drive a vehicle normally, without jumping through hoops for the next 1/2 MPG.

That is why Regen is a mistake unless you actually do have to use the brakes? Your No EB mode is close but what happens when you do touch the brakes in the No EB Mode? Do you receive regen or not?
As I wrote, for those who prefer to drive the EV without regen the feature can be turned off at the click of a button. It's a mistake to drive with regen for a hypermiler. I usually perfer to use regen not because I think it's more energy efficient but because I prefer that driving experience. When I happen to drive down a long downslope in which the car can coast at exactly the speed I want, I turn off regen.

I don't know how the RAV4 EV manages active braking, i.e. does it use regen to supplement the frictional brakes or not.

You have no idea what I am talking about.
We could have a better discussion if you didn't inject personal insults every once in a while.

Old 11-20-2005, 05:27 AM
04 prius 350,000km

why is regen bad? i have tons of hills that are greeted with a stop light. plus if your going down a hill too fast at least regen can prevent you from going over the speed limit. When you guys say regen is bad you mean hitting the brakes are bad? So its better for the car to regenerate by letting go of accel for maximum FE?

this hypermiler **** is too complicated! why can't i just feather the pedal and get high mileage? and make most of your stopping distance to absorb all the energy from go to standstill isn't that enough?

Quick Reply: EV (electric-only) mode finally spotted in 06 HCH!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands