Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Extended Warranty on Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/extended-warranty-civic-hybrid-4748/)

AshenGrey 11-29-2005 06:47 AM

Re: Extended Warranty on Civic Hybrid

Originally Posted by guvmint_cheese
$900??? Where did you get it? I was just quoted $1695 for a 7/70 and $1995 for a 7/100 plan! Perhaps I will do a little more research to see what other dealerships are offering. I know you can buy the warranty at another dealer than you bought the car from, so I'm off to research.

Northwest Honda had some pity on me because I racked up 66k miles on a Toyota Echo only a year into a 4-year loan. The transmission was shot and the warranty was expired. This left me with a HUGE "upside down" loan that had to be rolled into my new car's loan. That's why they gave me a break on the service plan. My car payment is $525/month because the Echo crapped out so early in the loan.

I got the hybrid because I drive the heck out of my car (as evidenced by 90k miles in 3 years!) I guess that's better than 66k in one year...
:P

tdunc92 12-01-2005 10:04 PM

I had planned to buy my HondaCare warranty from Bernardi Honda (www.hondawarrantyinfo.com) for ~$950 for a 8 yr/120k mi/$0 deductible warranty. I showed the finance manager the quote when I was picking up my car, and the dealer matched it without blinking an eye.

Terry

bar10dah 12-02-2005 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by dwax
I paid $1200 (talked down from $1600) for bumper-to-bumper 100k service that is refundable after 5 years if it is not used. I bought this insurance from the dealer.

How does that work? A refundable warranty?? More info please! :)

dwax 12-02-2005 12:01 PM

The warranty is through API. The dealer said it was the exact same coverage (and price) as HondaCare except that it is refundable after 5 years as long as you don't use it.

I just looked at the warranty and it says 'not refundable in CA, FL, LA, MN, WA, WI, and WY'.

The catch is you have to notify them within 6 months of the warranty expiring or you don't get the refund.

mgroves 12-02-2005 03:20 PM

I do not buy extended warranties. They are major profit centers for the dealership, and your odds of needing it are only slightly better than winning the lottery. I don't buy lottery tickets, either.

bar10dah 12-02-2005 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by dwax
The warranty is through API. The dealer said it was the exact same coverage (and price) as HondaCare except that it is refundable after 5 years as long as you don't use it.

I just looked at the warranty and it says 'not refundable in CA, FL, LA, MN, WA, WI, and WY'.

The catch is you have to notify them within 6 months of the warranty expiring or you don't get the refund.

That seems to contradict the whole reason extended warranties are sold!

Got a website link? I'd like to find out more about this. It just seems too good to be true! But hey, if it's as you say, it's a GREAT deal! :)

mochisushi 12-02-2005 08:28 PM

Ralph Schomp Honda does the same thing with an Extended Warranty through GE. If you don't use it, you get a FULL Refund. Same catch, though. They probably hope that most people forget until it is too late. I'm sure that is what happens most of the time.

Mikeyt758 12-05-2005 12:46 PM

DWAX: I just checked out my API warranty and mine says you have to notify them within 30 days after the warranty expires to get the money back. I bought a 2003 Honda CR-V with this warranty back in Oct 2002 and I can't believe I paid $1398.00 for it! But I hope my CR-V holds out for another two years so I can get those $$ back!! Actually a little over 22 more months. I guess at this point I would have to weigh my options about paying for a repair myself so I could get the $$ back from the warranty.

The deal is as long as you don't make a claim within the 60 months you get it all back.

Mikeyt758 12-05-2005 12:59 PM

I found the website to this (GPR) for the API warranty.

http://www.apiwarranty.com/gpr.aspx

AZMerf 01-23-2006 05:34 PM

Anybody got an update on getting an extended warranty. I was going to purchase one (the car is too high tech for me) but bring a quote to the dealer with me and see if they will match the price.