First full tank, only 340 miles,

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 05:42 PM
Default Re: First full tank, only 340 miles,

Originally Posted by AZCivic
What fuel economy did you get in your last vehicle? For example, if you got 65% of EPA city in your last vehicle, it's likely you'll get 65% of EPA in your new vehicle. You never said what your old fuel economy was, only what kind of car it was.
Not really. In my case, the EPA combined mileage for my Jetta was 24 mpg and I usually got 23 mpg mixed. And that was driving around 75 mph on highways, which comprised the bulk of my driving, and flooring it to accelerate in most instances. However the hybrid is far more sensitive and even driving gently I do not expect to get 50 mpg by any means unless I make major sacrifices / changes the way many of the people on this site are.

Oh, and it was 84 degrees today so I had to use A/C. I guess that's what you get when you move from the frigid northeast to Southern California.

Last edited by CGameProgrammer; 11-19-2005 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast

Glad you like your new car. Just like a gas-only car, hybrids are affected by how you drive (it's only more obvious to see how well - or not, you drive with the real-time display). Do you think you drive this car the same as your Audi? Do you coast as much as possible and are you light on the gas pedal? You might want to practice on a longer drive trying to adjust your driving style while watching the real-time mpg display. Factors like where you live (hills vs. flat) and weather and speed limit all affect the mileage. Many real life conditions are not considered in EPA's tests for mileage. Staying at or below the limit usually gives the best results but many people find that very hard to do.

Deb

Old 11-19-2005, 11:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
I have tried to accelerate at 4000 rpm or less since it needs to break in and I do accelerate fairly quickly
Sheesh! Fairly quickly?! You gotta stop wearing those lead boots.
I never push my car's engine above 3000 rpm.

Old 11-19-2005, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by ElanC
Sheesh! Fairly quickly?! You gotta stop wearing those lead boots.
I never push my car's engine above 3000 rpm.
3000 rpm isn't quick enough to accelerate onto the highway from a stop or a slow-moving road, and it's often not quick enough to merge into traffic on any road. But it is perfectly good in most situations.

Old 11-19-2005, 11:45 PM

I find in my 03' HCH around 2100 to 2400rpm is optimal acceleration for FE. I just slowly press the gas until I reach that rpm and then I start to slowly pull my foot back to lower the rpms as i am usualy going fast enough to keep acclerating at lower rpms.

If anyone ever wants to bring there HCH II to Arlington Heights, IL during lunch I'd be happy to give you pointers

Old 11-20-2005, 12:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

3000 rpm isn't quick enough to accelerate onto the highway from a stop or a slow-moving road, and it's often not quick enough to merge into traffic on any road. But it is perfectly good in most situations.
I merge into 70 MPH freeway traffic every day. Whatever...

Old 11-20-2005, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by ElanC
I merge into 70 MPH freeway traffic every day. Whatever...
With what? The RAV4? I don't think you can make fair comparisons between an electric and an ICE.

Old 11-20-2005, 07:28 AM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by Andrew@vr66.com
We bought a 06 civic hybrid blue 10 days ago, we are getting 32-34 mpg,We live 3 miles north west of the loop here in Chicago, The trips are in normal traffic, 1 trip on the highway with no stops.I see fellow Civic 06 Hybrid drivers getting 45 51 55 mpg. wow, help please.I love this car, I traded an Audi S6 4.2 which was a great car but this car by Honda is number 1 in my book.
Also keep in mind that the difference between going 60mph and 70mph is a big factor along with head winds etc. If you're going 70 and have a 20mph headwind, your car is acting like 90mph. Air friction increases with speed so you can expect about 20% less mpg at 70 than at 60.... When safety permits and traffic is light, I usually stay in the far right lanes of the freeway and keep speed around 60. Of course in heavier high speed traffic and when having to take a left lane exit you need to increase speed to match the flow so you don't p'off the urban assault vehicle drivers

Old 11-20-2005, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
Air friction increases with speed so you can expect about 20% less mpg at 70 than at 60....
It doesn't work that way since your speed is also increasing by the same amount. The resistance actually increases nonlinearly so after about 55 mph it increases at a greater rate than speed, lowering efficiency, but 20% is a huge overestimate. I've forgotten my basic physics but I'm sure NASA can clarify this.

Old 11-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It doesn't work that way since your speed is also increasing by the same amount. The resistance actually increases nonlinearly so after about 55 mph it increases at a greater rate than speed, lowering efficiency, but 20% is a huge overestimate. I've forgotten my basic physics but I'm sure NASA can clarify this.
There are so many variables at play that I think empirical data is the best indicator. I plan to measure my freeway commute at various cruise control settings next week (60, 65, 70, 75, 80). I'll measure the entire commute (~35mi.) at each given speed and always in the same direction to make sure any localized effects are averaged out.

BTW, I'm just a software engineer at NASA, I'm not a rocket scientist or anything

Last edited by NASAgineer; 11-20-2005 at 11:54 AM.

Quick Reply: First full tank, only 340 miles,

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands