Fuel economy tips for a new owner of an 06 Civic Hybrid ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Default Re: Fuel economy tips for a new owner of an 06 Civic Hybrid ????

I takes up to an hour or something before the image is updated.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Ok,

So assuming I'm right here, from the "learn" article steph posted, P&G is supposed to work between 50-60. Can I go higher ???? Does anyone know if it works, say, between 60-70 ???? Or 55-65 ????

Old 01-16-2006, 12:01 PM
PCK
Active Enthusiast

It should work at higher speeds but from what I have read so far the
glide dosen't last as long, deceleration occurs quicker.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:14 PM

That WOULD make sense, seeing as how I get irritated using the technique as higher speeds and I get irritated with how quickly the speed tapers off.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by PCK
It should work at higher speeds but from what I have read so far the
glide dosen't last as long, deceleration occurs quicker.
At low speed you'd see the greatest benefit as the bulk of the resistance is from drivetrain losses -- mainly aspirating and spinning over the engine. By only running the engine in pulses, you keep this at a minimum. However, at faster speeds, the bulk of the resistance is from wind resistance, as a result, the "glide" phase is shortened as the drag slows the vehicle down, and the "pulse" phase is not as effective, since you're already running the engine at a more open throttle compared to slower driving anyway, so the aspiration loss is lower.

The time where pulse and glide is effective at faster speeds is over hills, gliding down hills as opposed to driving normally saves fuel by cutting out engine braking and allowing the momentum of the car to keep up speed. So if you are driving over rolling hills, "pulsing" up the incline slightly losing speed, and accelerating over the top, then coasting the gradual downhill at steady speed.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:54 PM

Why do we call the "pulse" part the pulse part ???? I don't get what its referring to....I mean, am I supposed to feel a pulse ???? Does it resemble a pulse like on a graph at the hospital ???? I've seen the technique written out, but the terminology hasn't been explained behind it.

Old 01-16-2006, 02:36 PM
Brains of the Operation

Pulse. Noun:
  1. A brief sudden change in a normally constant quantity: a pulse of current; a pulse of radiation.
  2. Any of a series of intermittent occurrences characterized by a brief sudden change in a quantity.
In our case, it's a sudden change in power - a brief acceleration via a temporarily increased usage of gasoline.

Old 01-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

The pulse is not something like you would feel in your brake pedal as the ABS activates or the heartbeat on the monitor in the hospital; if that is what you are implying. The pulse we are talking about is on a grander scale than this. The pulse is the whole acceleration cycle (from low speed set point to max speed set point), where you are applying more gas pedal pressure than you would to sustain speed at a constant rate (which would be a flat line on a graph). Your speed variance when plotted would look like a wave, I think the most effective would have a sharper incline (acceleration) the a slow drawn out decline (maximizing glide) rather than a smooth, evenly round curve set.

Maybe someone with pre-existing data sets could make a graph for you, if I were to make one it would be with guessed figures. It would be interesting to see a real-world set of points and have the mph and mpg lines next to each other. I don't know if the ones who have thier car hooked up to a computer while driving get this detailed of info or not. It may already exist.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:16 PM

Don't need it. Makes perfect sense now blues. I didn't know we were referring to the pulse part on such a large scale. Thanks for the clear, concise explanation !!!!

Old 01-17-2006, 09:00 AM

Speaking of mileage,

I've heard that the Navigation screen will display some info on mileage or something like that, is there any truth to this ???? I know the mileage is a display readout on the dash, but some say its on one of the screens in the Nav. Can anyone help me find this ????

Quick Reply: Fuel economy tips for a new owner of an 06 Civic Hybrid ????

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands