Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   HCH Center Antenna? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/hch-center-antenna-847/)

gar1138 08-26-2004 01:54 PM

Does anyone know exactly WHY the Hybrid Civic has the center antenna on the roof, while all other Civic models (EX, LX, etc.) have the antenna integrated into the rear windshield? It just seems like a strange difference. If anything, I would think that the roof mounted antenna would ADD drag (granted, not very much) over the other models.

Garrett
gar1138

lars-ss 08-26-2004 02:00 PM

Found this on the first Google search I tried:

"High Mount Roof Antenna
The Civic Hybrid has a high mount roof antenna. Its location helps prevent interference that may occur from the advanced electronics in other parts of the vehicle. The antenna is isolated from interference sources and enhances reception. The antenna can pivot 90 degrees on its center mounted roof mount and quickly unscrews for car washes. Non-hybrid Civic sedans and coupes use a rear window glass integrated antenna."

Will post more info as I googlocate it....

lars-ss 08-26-2004 02:08 PM

I think we have a Winner: :D

The antenna (posted on the roof…the regular Civic’s antennae are embedded in the rear window…due to the battery pack for the hybrid being right under the window, the interference would mess up the embedded antenna)

Oh, the Power of Google !!! :)

gar1138 08-26-2004 02:54 PM

I guess that makes sense. I was thinking about it from a wind drag standpoint. I suppose having a large power source right next to the antenna would induce some interference. :-)

Garrett
gar1138

ericbecky 08-26-2004 06:23 PM

Actually, I think it was put there so I can differentiate it from the non-hybrid Civics on the highway. ;)

billyt1963 08-26-2004 06:46 PM

If you don't like the antenna I know someone that got our dealer to order a shorter antenna. It looks like one that goes on the S2000.

Billy

lakedude 08-28-2004 06:31 PM

I've only got about 3" of clearance above the roofline in my garage. That antenna is not gonna cut it. Too bad the regular Civic antenna will not work.

billyt1963 08-28-2004 06:56 PM

I will try to post a picture of the one I am talking about.

Billy

sirlan 08-31-2004 12:50 PM

That's one of the things I absolutely do not like about my HCH. It does help me ID other hybrids, though -- when I'm not mistaking them for a Ford Focus.

Falcon18323 09-09-2004 09:21 AM

Yeah, I'd love to get a shorter antenna for my HCH, especially with it currently going over the moonroof hole. I'd also like to have one that didn't wag in the breeze so much.

Looking forward to seeing the picture of the one you're talking about. Post all the details: price, vendor, part number and price if you can snag it. Heck, if I can't get my dealer to order it, I'll go through the one you mentioned.

billyt1963 09-10-2004 06:27 AM

I have not gotten a picture yet (the person is out of town) but I did call my dealer. They did some quick research and determined that the S2000 antenna would *probably* fit where the Hybrid antenna screws out. If you are on good speaking terms with your dealer maybe they would let you try before buying.

I will still try to get a picture of the one that I know of.

Billy

billyt1963 09-11-2004 04:40 PM

I have sent the picture to the boards but I am not quite sure how to get it into this thread. The file name is DSCN0415.JPG. I talked to the owner and it is the S2000 antenna. I checked H and A Accessories and they list the antenna for $19.79.

Billy

Jason 09-11-2004 04:50 PM

Here's the file location at https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...hp?download=81

Rammstein 09-18-2004 05:36 PM

The answer is simple guys: Honda copied VW's, that's all. :lol:

Falcon18323 10-04-2004 08:44 AM

Can someone confirm for me that the HCH center antenna mount is 5mm? If so, I plan on purchasing this one today:

http://www.parts4euro.com/cgi-bin/PPStore/...0005&category=0

Falcon18323 10-17-2004 06:45 PM

Got the antenna and it's SWEET. Fits perfect. It's shiny silver as opposed to the black base where the antenna, but it looks fine to me. Only a *slight* reduction in reception...mostly unnoticeable.

Got the part in 5 days via the link above.

lars-ss 10-18-2004 11:22 AM

:D Get us a Pic !!!

memory-minus 11-30-2004 04:42 AM

Sorry to dredge this one up... has anyone found a nice "stubby" black antenna for the HCH? I have one that is about 8" or so but while it will screw in just fine, the antenna is thicker than the base and it looks a bit off. Anyone have any info on a thinner, shorter antenna? :)

billyt1963 11-30-2004 05:25 AM

I think one choice is the antenna for the S2000. One of the other replies had a link to one they bought. How did that look?

Billy

Falcon18323 11-30-2004 05:59 AM

Go to this link. They now have a super-short black antenna.

http://www.parts4euro.com/cgi-bin/PPStore/...ucts&category=0

Also, I'll get a picture up shortly with my antenna. Sorry, it's been a hectic month. :blink:

Just make sure that the antenna you order has a 5MM base.

tbaleno 12-16-2004 01:12 PM

Do these antennas work as well as the longer ones?

Falcon18323 12-16-2004 02:10 PM

For the most part, yes. Mine loses weaker signal more quickly, but by that time the signal was bad enough that I normally couldn't make out what was being said anyway.

The only really noticable thing about my antenna is that when you go under a bridge overpass, you lose pretty much all signal. The factory antenna does not do that. My guess is that not all short antennas do that either, but I'm not sure.

bama_fan01 11-14-2008 07:22 AM

Re: HCH Center Antenna?

I want to remove the HCH center antenna and run the wire for my XM antenna through the same hole. I can't figure out how to take the center antenna off. Can someone help with this?

Orient Express 11-14-2008 10:46 AM

HCH Center Antenna Removal

Originally Posted by bama_fan01 (Post 191243)
I want to remove the HCH center antenna and run the wire for my XM antenna through the same hole. I can't figure out how to take the center antenna off. Can someone help with this?

The HCHII antenna is accessed from the interior of the car. If you have NAV, then the module has discrete AM/FM/XM antennas built-in. If you do not have NAV then the module does not have the XM antenna. To remove the antenna module, all you have to do is drop the headliner, then unbolt the antenna module from inside. There are also 2 cables with connectors that have to be disconnected.

To drop the headliner (you just need to do it in the back, not remove the whole thing),

1. Pull off the 2 rear door gaskets along the top of the door jamb.
2. Remove the 2 rear grab handles. To do this, pull off the fastener covers, and then squeeze the handle fasteners to remove them and the grab handle.
3. At the rear edge of the headliner, at the 25% and 75% point, there are two snap fasteners that hold the headliner to the roof of the car. Pop them off and the headliner will drop down.

The cable connectors are on the right side of the car, and the antenna fastener nut is easily accessible.

Keep in mind that the antenna shaft is just for AM reception. The FM and XM antennas are amplified ones and are housed in the base of the antenna. You can remove the antenna shaft and still get XM and FM reception just fine.

I painted my antenna to match the car.

http://www.gjlenterprise.com/civicantenna1.jpg
http://www.gjlenterprise.com/civicantenna2.jpg

bama_fan01 11-14-2008 10:49 AM

Re: HCH Center Antenna?

My antenna is on the front (2003 model). I dropped the headliner, but I can't see any way to unscrew the antenna. I'll try to make some pictures this weekend to post and see if that helps.