How-Many-Think-The 06 HCH Is $ Expensive $

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 09:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How-Many-Think-The 06 HCH Is $ Expensive $

Originally Posted by nimbus2k

Nobody on here makes much notice of the point that the 06 model is a Partial ZERO emissions vehicle. Except for having to dump the tires every few years, as long as you're using it, it's not doing much to pollute the environment.
Don't kid yourself. PZEV means it has almost no emissions of noxious gases like CO, NO, and hydrocarbons. Still, practically every atom of carbon in the gasoline you burn becomes a CO2 molecule coming out the tailpipe. The hybrid may burn half as much fuel, which is good, but it's half - not zero.

Old 11-23-2005, 05:58 PM

Hi Nimbus2k:

___Besides the GHG emissions from burning gasoline as ElanC posted, PZEV’s are available in far more non-hybrid formats then hybrid’s and they (non-hybrids) are as clean or cleaner in the smog emissions arena in many cases.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Last edited by xcel; 11-23-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Not to mention every breath we take releases CO2 into the atmosphere. I wonder how our own CO2 production compares to an automobile. Over the course of our lives our lungs are taking a LOT of air in and out.

Originally Posted by ElanC
Don't kid yourself. PZEV means it has almost no emissions of noxious gases like CO, NO, and hydrocarbons. Still, practically every atom of carbon in the gasoline you burn becomes a CO2 molecule coming out the tailpipe. The hybrid may burn half as much fuel, which is good, but it's half - not zero.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by blueskies
Not to mention every breath we take releases CO2 into the atmosphere. I wonder how our own CO2 production compares to an automobile. Over the course of our lives our lungs are taking a LOT of air in and out.
I don't have a quick way of figuring out human or vehicle CO2 emissions, but we can look at energy consumption.

A human needs about 2000 calories per day, which is about 8 million joules.
A gallon of gasoline has an energy content of about 130 million joules. So humans get by on the equivalent of about 0.06 gallons of gasoline per day (about one glassful of gasoline).
Also, since humans consume plants or animals that consume plants, we survive completely on renewable energy sources. The plants we eat grow by absorbing the CO2 we emit.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

I guess the gasoline that our cars are burning is made out of ancient plants which fixated CO2 as well.....

I don't have a quick way of figuring out human or vehicle CO2 emissions, but we can look at energy consumption.

A human needs about 2000 calories per day, which is about 8 million joules.
A gallon of gasoline has an energy content of about 130 million joules. So humans get by on the equivalent of about 0.06 gallons of gasoline per day (about one glassful of gasoline).
Also, since humans consume plants or animals that consume plants, we survive completely on renewable energy sources. The plants we eat grow by absorbing the CO2 we emit.

Old 11-24-2005, 10:51 AM
G.H. Contributor
Question Re: How-Many-Think-The 06 HCH Is $ Expensive $

Hey Everyone; What do you all think about getting (Back-On-Topic).

All of that is really interesting, but I really have to say that I think the person (ME) that did this (Thread) originally was wanting comments on How-Many-Of-You-Think-The 06 HCH Is $ Expensive $

So now that we all are back on Topic. The reason I asked that question was because when I spec. out my 06 HCH it came to: $28,204.00 Dollars :

That is with Accessories, Labor, 06 HCh ll W/Nav. , Destination & Handling Fee: NO-TAXES, TITLE TRANSFER ETC.

I personally thought that this was a pretty Expensive vehicle when you added on the available accessories plus labor to install them and the HCH ll itself. I (Am-Not) saying that it is not worth it but simply that I think it is expensive for a Honda Civic even though it is the new 06 HCH ll.

That brings us back to the (Original-Thread) that I did. What do others think about the Cost/Pricing of the 2006 HCH ll?

Thank-you;

Terry

Old 11-24-2005, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker

So now that we all are back on Topic. The reason I asked that question was because when I spec. out my 06 HCH it came to: $28,204.00 Dollars :

That is with Accessories, Labor, 06 HCh ll W/Nav. , Destination & Handling Fee: NO-TAXES, TITLE TRANSFER ETC.
You must be making your dealer awfully happy. When I go to the Honda site and price an HCH with Navi and every possible accessory listed I get a price of $27,028 incl. destination charge, not including labor.

I expect to drive my HCH off the lot for $23,900 plus tax and registration. That's $1800 more than a similarly equipped Civic EX. With the expected tax credit I won't be paying any more for the HCH.

Old 11-24-2005, 02:16 PM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Let's compare its environmental effects to the 06 Jetta TDI diesel smog factory

Old 11-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Hey Everyone; What do you all think about getting (Back-On-Topic).

All of that is really interesting, but I really have to say that I think the person (ME) that did this (Thread) originally was wanting comments on How-Many-Of-You-Think-The 06 HCH Is $ Expensive $

I personally thought that this was a pretty Expensive vehicle when you added on the available accessories plus labor to install them and the HCH ll itself. I (Am-Not) saying that it is not worth it but simply that I think it is expensive for a Honda Civic even though it is the new 06 HCH ll.

That brings us back to the (Original-Thread) that I did. What do others think about the Cost/Pricing of the 2006 HCH ll?
Well... all my tree hugging aside, the larger answer comes in how long you plan to keep the car.... the "expense" extends beyond just the initial purchase price of the car to the lifetime expense including fuel, upkeep, taxes and repairs. And then at the far end, the Return on your "investment" [sic] when you sell/trade the car.

HCH wins out a bit on the fuel cost thing by getting ~ 10 mpg better than the regular model. As far as the other factors, it's worth noting that there's some comapnies that add "Kia" and "Hyundai" to the list of cars that they WILL NOT give financing for on a used model (in other words, once you trade the car in, it's worthless to any except someone who can pay cash for it.)

I'd guess that the 06 Civics, with a new design and all, have gone a little more up-market than in years past, and were even in the earlier years a little more "upscale" in build and mechanicals than the "average" car of the same size... say.... a Chevy Cavalier or a Kia.

And since Honda doesn't have a "branding" premium for you to pay as if you were buying the same car as an Acrua, BMW, or Lexus, then you're not pouring out EXTRA money on just the name/prestige of the car.

Overall, I'd say it's certainly more expensive up-front than either a Corolla or a Cobalt/Cavalier, but you'll probably spend less money (on average) during the time that you have it in repairs, and you'll get more in trade on the last day you own it.

That, and the last 2-3 years of HCH models aren't really depreciating that much at all, compared to the regular gas models.

Overall, for a "mid-premium" model, I'd say it's not all that expensive at all. The Prius I priced out (granted it was pimped out quite a bit) was pushing 30 grand, and the Jetta I drove was nearly 29.

I'm thinking that, in the hyrbrid niche, that's "just what they cost." Whether or not we think they're expensive won't stop them from selling like icewater in Hekk. Dealer lots are not lying fallow with tens of unsold hybrids

Old 11-24-2005, 02:50 PM
G.H. Contributor
Question Re: How-Many-Think-The 06 HCH Is $ Expensive $

You must be making your dealer awfully happy. When I go to the Honda site and price an HCH with Navi and every possible accessory listed I get a price of $27,028 incl. destination charge, not including labor.

I expect to drive my HCH off the lot for $23,900 plus tax and registration. That's $1800 more than a similarly equipped Civic EX. With the expected tax credit I won't be paying any more for the HCH.
Hi ElanC; Your right in your figures from the Honda site for vehicle and listed accessories at $27,028.00 Less Labor Cost to Install those accessories.

.$27,028.00 HCH ll W/Nav.
.....2,018.00 Labor to Install: Dealers Pricing (Not-My-Opinion)
$29,046.00 Total W/Labor Cost

Now on top of this add (Full Window Tint) And (Honda Custom Pin Stripes)

That will be Approx. $ 29,600.00 Plus Taxes, Etc.

As I said in Post do most people think this is an Expensive Vehicle to be a Civic?

It makes little difference how one does are does not load the vehicle up with Factory Accessories, that is personal taste and does not have any bearing at all on how expensive the vehicle becomes when one accessory is added or all the accessories are added. You are close to the purchase of a 2006 Honda Accord Hybrid for this kind of money along with alot of other vehicles and I am not judging if the HCH ll is (Worth) the cost or not, just looking for other opinions. It would seem obvious to I hope anyone if you do not add any accessories to this vehicle or any other then certainly it is going to be less expensive. I have read many-many post here where new owners and pontential owners think just the price of the (X/M Satellite Radio) is beyond belief and using that as an example I wondered what everyone thought about the over all cost/pricing on the HCH ll.

Terry

Quick Reply: How-Many-Think-The 06 HCH Is $ Expensive $

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands