I was very surprized by this MPG

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I was very surprized by this MPG

Hot Georgia
Did you stop recording your MPG on the database?
I think your last entry was December 24,2005.

Whassup???

Yeah, that makes sense if I was in the EV mode for a long time the battery must have been used a lot.
I didn't notice the battery level during this trip.
I didn't think to look.
But I will in the future.

Thanks.

Last edited by kenny; 05-13-2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
Most days it's been a strong head/cross wind but usually find a slow moving truck to hide behind. (Not drafting)
I call that drafting.

Old 05-14-2006, 05:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Here is a picture of a recent commute on this tank I am on so far. It poor quality because it was taken on my Treo 650 phone but it conveys the idea that I got 70 MPG for the first 70 miles. This was combined city and highway driving with some EV use.

Old 05-14-2006, 05:58 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: I was very surprized by this MPG

[QUOTE=Donald]
Originally Posted by kenny

I got 72.4 MPG for the 18-mile commute.

Kenny,
We are all still learning. I live in a colder climate near Buffalo, NY. Two days ago I got the same 72.4 MPG that you did going 50 MPH on cruise for 18.6 miles!

I have a "test course" that I use on the way home from work. I drive about 5 miles through Jamestown, NY (this ensures that the car is warmed up). Then I get on I-86 and set the cruise where I want it. This day I set it at 50 (light traffic). At mile marker 27 I re-set Trip A. I drive about 9.4 miles, and exit onto US 62. I use the cruise again until I get into town, then go the speed limit 25-35 MPH. The terrain is hilly, with occassional reving up by the cruise. The temperature was around 65 degrees F. I glide alot in town and accelerate slowly.

I did the same test on 3/7/06 and only got 62.2 MPG - the temperature that day was 34 degrees F.

I devised this "test course" because I was frustrated by losing MPG's on my work commute (6.5 miles in cold weather) AND I wanted to see what the car could do. My last tank was 58.5 MPG!! This is much better than the tanks in the low 40's that I had in the cold winter months! My lifetime MPG has climbed from 41.1 (Feb.25th & Tank 5) to 46.1 (May 5th & Tank 15) It should go up until September, '06.
Regards,
Don;

Looking good:

Old 05-14-2006, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by kenny
EV mode?
Hmmmm.
I need to learn more about this.

Frankly every thread about it goes on for 9587 pages and gets so complicated and full of conflicting information and misinformation and acronyms that I get lost, throw my hands up and ignore them.

This kind of information overload means I learn nothing.
It becomes as useful as an Internet forum discussing politics, religion or abortion.

Is EV mode where, after reaching cruising speed, you back off on the accelerator till you see the instantaneous MPG reading go to max and 4 bars of assist show up?
I have never tried this but seem to recall that is what I distilled from all the noise I read here.

What I DO do, when not using cruise control, is constantly lift my foot slighty to maintain the lightest touch that maintains my speed.
Maybe this just happend to result in operating in the EV mode a lot without looking at the dash.
good points. The site has gotten large enough in population and scope that it has become difficult to keep anything targeted and to the point, particularly when it touches an area that has several methods of approach.

As for acronyms, the glossary link at the top of the page will help.

Your foot-lifting technique is a perfect trick to use n any car- always trying to use the minimum throttle to maintain the minimum speed necessary.