IMPORTANT INFO! Honda IMA Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: IMPORTANT INFO! Honda IMA Warranty

They've now said it's NOT the IMA, and that an update done to the IMA system or something was all it needed, but that we need the ACCESSORY battery changed. $100. i'm so glad I have all this on recording because I'm not 100% sure they're being honest. I saw someone else have an issue with the IMA and then get told they needed a new accessory battery...anyone else have that happen and do you know whether it was legit? I have a rep calling tomorrow either way, but I wanted to check around...

Old 11-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Think green.

Often when the accessory, or 12V battery is going bad, it sets off all sorts of random problems, so it could be true.
If your 2005 car still had the original 12V battery in it, it's probably time for a new one. They are pretty small 12V batteries in these cars.

Do a search on 12V battery here, and you should find threads discussing it, and whatever associated problems people have had. Similar info can also be found over at cleanmpg.com

Old 11-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Look on the 12 volt battery as an expendable. For 2005 model year that's a good run. Even if it's not the underlying issue, I'd say it's worthwhile giving it a go.

FWIW, emergency vehicles will often change their 12 volt yearly or bi-yearly, just a cost of preparedness. That's a bit overkill for the average consumer, but just changing it every 4th year is not out of line.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: IMPORTANT INFO! Honda IMA Warranty

Hi, folks,
I live in Orange Co, California. I got the IMA light on my 2005 Civic at 109,600 miles. I checked the OBD2 codes, sure they were P1600 and P1433. I erased them, and they have come back right away. I went to a local Honda dealer in Rancho Santa Margarita (RSM) on Saturday. They ordered the battery and called me on Tuesday saying it has come. They replaced it with a nice smile, never challenged the 10/150 warranty written in the Warranty Manual. They even washed the car. All for free with no hassle. (They did mention the warranty had saved me $3,400) Well done RSM Honda.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Enthusiast

After a long back and forth during which I was refused outright and without recourse
I went to a new dealer and he swapped it without a problem

Last edited by jsbrads; 07-22-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:41 AM
Enthusiast

My 2005 Civic Hybrid will be 8 years old this July, current mileage around 120k...
Am I still under warranty for the IMA battery?
The engine & IMA lights have been on for about a week now.
I bought the car in Colorado, and brought it to Florida in 2008...

Last edited by Bob Ozwald; 01-16-2013 at 06:44 AM. Reason: more details added
Old 01-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Think green.

Hi Bob,

I *think* even though your car is only an '05 (which by age is not out of the warranty period), you might be out of the warranty period for your car in either of those states of CO or FL because the mileage is out of the warranty limits.

(I'm figuring that as the original warranty for CO or FL being 8 years/80,000 miles plus the new extensions due to the recent HCH settlement that would increase that to 9years/92,000 miles plus the earlier class action settlement for overstated odometer readings that tacked on another 5% for mileage that would bring that up to 96,600 miles for you.) It couldn't hurt to ask Honda though; some folks have had some luck getting partially reduced costs on battery replacements.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Enthusiast

I have a Honda Civic Hybrid 2005 with 103.000 Miles on it. My car is registered in California and I bought it used two years ago. My check engine light and IMA light came on about 3 days ago and I took it into the Honda dealership and they told me that my warranty ended at 8years or 96.000miles so I am just slightly over. Because of that they offered me a reduced cost of about $2600. But that is still too much! It seems like everyone in CA and everyone who has a 2004 and under has a warranty of 10/150.000. My roommate has exactly the same car and got her battery replaced for free with more miles cuz her car is an SULEV. Apparently my car is an ULEV but I don't understand why they made a car with different warranties in the same year with the same make and model. Can someone help me how I can get around it or am I doomed to have to get it fixed? And if so, does someone have a cheaper idea of how to get it fixed? Somewhere I read something about $800. That would be at least a bit more reasonable.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast

I would talk to the Honda Care of America before listening to a local dealer. They have their own motives and often are driven by internal costs and performance.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Enthusiast

Ok. Thanks. I will do that. I just figured that since it is a Honda dealership and they interacted with customer support, they are telling me the same thing Honda America would tell me.