New 2009 Civic Hubrid -- Disapointed in mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New 2009 Civic Hubrid -- Disapointed in mileage

My first tank was 46 MPG (USA), which to this day is still one of my best. Getting to know the car, taking it easy, and so on. Just common-sense driving, nothing systematic. But that was in the middle of Summer. My overall average is about the same as the updated EPA combined rating, though I drive proportionately more city than that.

Last edited by spinner; 12-04-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:10 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by noflash
P.S. Topics are too light around here; I'm gonna hafta post some snow shoe pics tonight....
Oh now you done it. You've taken me all serious like, and done brought in the snowshoes. Fine then, I'll raise you........ A MUKLUK!!!!

Last edited by mmrmnhrm; 12-05-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Okay, now this thread is becomming worthwhile...

Old 12-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast

I got about 36mpg on my first tank of my 09, I'm hoping after the car breaks in a bit and it gets warmer here I will see an increase to the EPA estimates. I wouldn't even mind it staying at 36mpg it just feels like I have to consciously try REALLY hard to even get that.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

I love all these '09 owners complaining about their mpg with their first few tanks. What a sense of MPG entitlement. You would think they would be grateful to own a great car that also has TPMS & TCS that us 06-07 owners don't.

Also the MPG is always lower in the winter. For me its 35-40mpg in the Winter but more than offset by 45-50mpg in the summer.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:30 AM
Enthusiast

I picked up my 2009 HCH 3 weeks ago. I read all the posts about hypermiling and the techniques used to accomplish great mileage. I filled up my tank and took the car out to see what kind of mileage I could get. I drove about 80% highway ( steady 55mph ) and a bit of stop and go local driving in NYC. My mpg gauge on the dash never dropped below 39, and averaged around 44 to 45. I used the digital gauges as a tool to maximize every drop I could out of the car. I thought I had aced the mileage based on my dash displays. I pulled into a gas station and filled up to compare fuel consumption against miles driven. After 150 miles, the fuel tank took 7.9 gallons! Thats 19 mpg!! ouch. Tires are at 40 psi. I noticed that the car never went into electric mode for local driving, except for the auto stop feature at dead stops.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Enthusiast

Yikes, Mike! Whenever I fill up the tank, I divide the miles by the gallons and usually get a slightly better number than the digital readout on the dash. Over the last 6 months I've averaged about 41 MPG. I've taken hardly any long highway trips. It is mostly local freeway and surface street driving. We live at the top of a steep hill and that MPG gauge really drops when we go up. Incidentally, the HCH never goes into complete electric mode. The electric motors assist when you accelerate or go up-hill. Anyway, you should definitely be getting better than 19 MPG. Either your math is wrong or you need to take the car in to be checked. My guess is that the gauge is probably right. Good luck. > John

Old 04-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike123
I picked up my 2009 HCH 3 weeks ago. I read all the posts about hypermiling and the techniques used to accomplish great mileage. I filled up my tank and took the car out to see what kind of mileage I could get. I drove about 80% highway ( steady 55mph ) and a bit of stop and go local driving in NYC. My mpg gauge on the dash never dropped below 39, and averaged around 44 to 45. I used the digital gauges as a tool to maximize every drop I could out of the car. I thought I had aced the mileage based on my dash displays. I pulled into a gas station and filled up to compare fuel consumption against miles driven. After 150 miles, the fuel tank took 7.9 gallons! Thats 19 mpg!! ouch. Tires are at 40 psi. I noticed that the car never went into electric mode for local driving, except for the auto stop feature at dead stops.
There isn't an "electric mode" where the engine shuts off, but if your display is at pegged full at 100mpg you aren't using any gas. Now add slight pedal pressure to add assist without breaking the 100mpg, and you're in EV-mode. It's not as flashy as a Prius, but you can do this at any speed so it's a lot more versitle.

Regarding the 19mpg, I can only suggest filling up again, and trying again. You shouldn't get mileage anywhere near that low--especially when your display never went below 39mpg. The only thing I can think of is that you didn't get a full fill up the first time. Good luck, and let us know if you don't have better luck with the second tank (put it in a new thread so it gets more focus).

Old 04-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone...I just did another 22 mile round trip highway/city ride. Filled up the tank completely and noted the mileage. For this 22 mile trip I got 44 mpg, according to the dash gauge. Gassed up again upon completion and it took .354 gallons. My math says this = 62 mpg. I'll keep you posted. Next week I'll take a longer trip and compare.

Last edited by Mike123; 04-25-2009 at 03:28 AM. Reason: error
Old 04-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Mike, I'm guessing someone reset that gauge on your first tank. I don't think this car could get 19mpg even if you tried with a foot of snow, sub-zero temps, and the air conditioner running the whole time.

Quick Reply: New 2009 Civic Hubrid -- Disapointed in mileage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands