New here, need help with Civic II air filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New here, need help with Civic II air filter

ECU=Engine Control Unit (main computer controlling all engine functions including air mix, ignition, ignition retardation, etc.) (sometimes referred to as Electronic Control Unit or Engine Management System)

MAF=Mass Air Flow sensor;
measures the air intake amount and density of air entering the engine for fuel and spark management

Originally Posted by kenny
Acronym Alert
Acronym Alert

ECU
MAF
?????????????

Old 05-15-2006, 06:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by traderfjp
K&N does make a filter for the 06, 1.8L Civic motor. I would bet that it would fit our cars. Here is a link. http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=235

I would be afraid that the oil that is sprayed onto the filter would spray into the throttle body. I've heard of issues with Nissan owners who use oiled filters with air intakes and they had problems. But the issues may have been by the owners over sraying their filters with oil. I don't know.
The 06 , 1.8L Civic air filter will not fit the 06, 1.3L HCH. They are not the same shape.

Here's a pic of the filter for the regular 06 civic:

https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/imag...SNA6.002.2.gif

Here's a pic of the filter for the HCH 06:

https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/imag...SNC6.001.2.gif

Last edited by Soleil24; 05-15-2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the acronym explanations.

Old 05-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the research and pics. I guess we need to look for a filter for just Hybrids.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tylers65
The car I am speaking of was a 2001 Lincoln LS. Although it is an "older V8" the Blackwood software platform used in the ECU was very far ahead of its time. It was also shared at the time with its platform cousins the Ford Thundirbird and Jaguar S-Type. This software was actually used as the "prototype" software for the 2004+ Ford F-150 and 2005+ Ford Mustang. The major difference was that the 3.9 Liter V8 in the Lincoln LS, Ford Thunderbird, and Jaguar S-Type responds very well to induction and exhaust modifications.

Every engine is different. Although psyshack used one in a Honda Accord, there are many factors in place. The first factor is that when one performs a "performance modification" to their vehicle, it generates a tendency to want to utilize said performance modification resulting sometimes in a heavier foot. Other factors can include the ECU programming and its ability to compensate for the additional air intake. Most newer ECU's will compensate for a certain ratio of intake air to maintain the perfect 14:1 Air to fuel ratio. Once too much air is introduced, some older ECU's could not compensate in the proper way resulting in the fuel injection system over-compensating and causing the engine to run rich. This is where psyshack likely saw his issue. Although the heavy foot theory is the oine I am sticking to based on the "by the butt dyno" and "louder at WOT". This would indicate a more aggressive driving style that of course would result in a lower MPG. Now, I will admit if I am wrong and there is a certain level of assumption here so if I am 100% off base, I apologize.
You dont run around at WOT much in a I4, 5AT Accord Sedan and keep a lmpg of 32 mpg. Takes all I can muster up to over come the wifes awful driving style.

Last oil change I put a OEM filter back in threw the K&N in the box and wrote that off as a $50 dollar waiste of time and gas. Not to mention most of the folks that do uoa's see more silcates in there oil from K&N's and other common aftermarket filters.

Now my Ranger has a cone style filter on it and it helped it alot on the upper reachs of the tach. The 2.5L, I4 in it is a hopeless turd of a motor. I havent driven it enough in the last year to look at MPG on it. I need to get the gas burned in the tank now before it goes bad. The filter has been on the truck for 3 years or so. When it was a daily driver I couldnt tell that the cone helped with MPG one bit. But it would pull a hill better, pass better and haul better. The butt dyno showed good for it.

I think ,, in the long run intake and exhaust mods are going to prove to be near worthless on the hybrid motor and the r18a. These engines where purpuse built for mpg. Esp. the hybrid. The days of a sleeper LX sedan or coupe are over IMO. If you want power and a mod'able engine get a Si. Want good soild mpg with a bit of zing, r18a is your mill. You want the upper reachs of FE its a hybrid.

Looking at my r18a you see a cast in the head exhaust thingy. Its not a manifold or a header. It drops right into a CAT. I sure the hybrid is the same way. Thousands of folks are waiting for the magic bolt on parts to make these engines scream like engines of the past. I wager it isnt going to happen for the r18a like folks want and anything for the hybrid will be custom one offs.

Good luck in your efforts
psy

Old 05-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Witch

I don't care if it screams at all. I have my Mustang if I feel the need to go fast.

The only way anyone will know if an aftermarket filter will benefit us is if someone is willing to pop their hood and take a chance. Looks like I just volunteered myself.

As I said before, once I have the new the new filter and a tank or two under its belt, I will report my findings based on the MPG I get now versus what I get then. Good, bad, or indifferent. The last thing I want to see is anyone waste $35 to $60 on a filter only to find out that it is generating a loss in fuel economy.

Stay tuned...

Old 05-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Witch

Originally Posted by Soleil24
The 06 , 1.8L Civic air filter will not fit the 06, 1.3L HCH. They are not the same shape.

Here's a pic of the filter for the regular 06 civic:

https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/imag...SNA6.002.2.gif

Here's a pic of the filter for the HCH 06:

https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/imag...SNC6.001.2.gif
You just became my personal hero...

I have been searching for what seemed like forever (ok 3 days in my free time) for the actual replacement filter.

Now, if I could only find technical specs such as actual dimensions.

Anyone here that can assist with this will be added to my christmas card list!

Old 05-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Witch

I love that site www.hondapartsdeals.com. I am getting some ideas for intake air ducting just by looking at the intake resonator system that would allow me to maintain the factory parts while allowing/forcing cooler air into the intake at a higher rate. Getting the cooler air at a better feed rate alone could negate the need for an aftermarket filter all together.

Need to get some real (better than tape measure) dimensions on some of this stuff...

Old 06-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Witch

Ok, for all that were/are interested...

K&N part number 33-2348 is a direct replacement for the HCH II air filter.

I will post any results after mine arrives.

Old 08-04-2006, 06:51 AM
PCK
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tylers65
Ok, for all that were/are interested...

K&N part number 33-2348 is a direct replacement for the HCH II air filter.

I will post any results after mine arrives.
Tyler,

Can you update us on performance difference if any on using this filter.

Thanks,
Perry

Quick Reply: New here, need help with Civic II air filter

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands