Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Odd average MPG gauge behavior (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/odd-average-mpg-gauge-behavior-5352/)

Sledge 01-08-2006 01:50 PM

Odd average MPG gauge behavior

When I test drove the HCH2 at the dealer, I cleared the average mpg gauge and I was able to get the gage to give me 50+ mpg within a minute or two of driving. With my car (a different vehicle than the test drive), I zeroed the average mpg gauge this morning, start driving, and it initially gives me 16 mpg. It goes upwards quickly. Right now it says 40.8. Granted I only drove 15 or so miles in total today, but it looks like the gauge in my car doesn't calculate in the same way as the test drive car. Watching the realtime gauge during my trip tells me that I am doing much better than 40.8 so I know it will continue to rise.

Any ideas? :confused:

kenny 01-08-2006 01:55 PM

Re: Odd average MPG gauge behavior

Perhaps when you got 50 MPG right away the car was going downhill and warmed up.

Sledge 01-08-2006 01:57 PM

This is mid-Michigan. There are no hills :D

Warmed up? I don't believe so. I played with all the controls before driving and I'm fairly sure the engine temp was cold.

NASAgineer 01-08-2006 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sledge
This is mid-Michigan. There are no hills :D

Warmed up? I don't believe so. I played with all the controls before driving and I'm fairly sure the engine temp was cold.

What do you mean by 'cold'? I've noticed that it makes a difference whether the car has been sitting overnight or has been driven within the last couple of hours.

Sledge 01-08-2006 02:08 PM

Cold meaning no bars on the engine fluid temp gauge.