Poor Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:57 PM
F**k ExxonMobil
Default Re: Poor Gas Mileage

why tf would the car come with all those unusual gauges if it were meant to be driven like a normal car??? if you want good fe, you have to learn to drive the car as it was designed to be driven.
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/artic...h-ii-1306.html
inflate to sidewall max, not owner's manual max.
this same thread comes up every couple months or so. the author either learns or leaves. grow or go.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Part Time Hybrids

Hmm I think the others have it right.

The hybrid is not a "normal" car. If you drive like a normal driver you will get no better than your old civic. And what SUV gets 35 mpg real world figures?

The hybrid has the capacity to be driven well beyond the figures of your former cars. You just have to try.

Sorry to be blunt, but if you want to drive normal, sell your hybrid and buy an EX model with the MT.

Location, speed, temperature, and conditions all alter your mileage. If your unsatisfied feel free to sue honda. Otherwise grow up and either learn about the car, or sell it.

Last edited by Sungod18; 10-16-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

I disagree a bit. If you drive the car "normally" - you will still get far better than a non hybrid car. I tend to be a 53-55 mpg driver. For the last tank, I made a decision to drive as fast as I want and I jump on it a bit more. Now I can't bring myself to do anything stupid like slam on the brakes while coming to a red light but 80 mph (heck 90 once)happens at times, as does full throttle acceleration, and A/C on 75 (although it is pretty mild right now). My tank - 50 mpg and the light just came on. I did just put Mobil 1 in, and my tires are at 40 psi.

I am really tempted to go full out and see how low I can get the mileage - I don't think I can get less than 40 without being stupid. Now - I live in a modest traffic area, drive highways for 80% of my miles, and no rain/mild temps/certainly no snow.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arbittan
WTF??

Sorry, I hate to use such language but give me a break. If I wanted to coast my vehicle I would be riding a bike. Let me guess, you also smoke weed on the side because its an earthy product.

41/51 posted on the sticker has nothing to do with coasting. Some people here have also used their AC and still getting over 40mpg. I am not asking alot from this car, the tax break is good but I would be getting the same mileage from a normal Civic with normal tires.

I don't care about Hypermilling... or whatever, I am talking about driving the car like a normal car. This is a car after all. Like I said in my first post, I am not flooring it at the green light. I am driving at normal street speeds in the city and about 60/65 on the HWY. This car should get the posted sticker mileage.

As for the other poster, I will check the tire pressure in the morning. Maybe it is tire pressure. The car uses regular gas and I am not putting premium in the tank.
You think your the first person to post here about low mileage?

You think it's all the car's fault?

Originally Posted by arbittan
I don't really care about the acceleration but I do care about the MPG. I have not gotton the 41/51 estimated MPG on the sticker. This is the first Honda product I ever purchased that did not meet or exceed the sticker mpg.

I believe these car do suck. It should be electric first up to 25 miles per hour and gas after that. The current configuration is always gas and electric to assist... There is a 90HP engine inside the freakin car. They should have at least match the power of the standard 4 cly version. Give it a total of 140hp.....
With all respect, please learn how to use the search feature of this forum. There is an invaluable amount of information here -- enough to increase your mileage to near what you expect. Just put a little more effort into your research and a little less at shooting off at the mouth (keyboard ).

nf

Old 10-17-2007, 07:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I would like to thank everyone that put in advice on the mileage. I will say for the people on this forum treating their cars like handicapped or crippled things, you really need to revaluate yourself.

We talk about extremist all the time on the news and what problems come from such people. I think of the extremists that blow things up. Or the people that lead us to be searched at airports and cannot bring bottled water on planes anymore.

A Hybrid car is a normal car with a different type of propulsion system. It isn’t different than a CNG based car or an Ethanol based car.

Seeing that I drive my car normally, as in step on the brakes when I need to at the very last minute (allow my car to coast to the red light) or accelerate slowly as to not lead the pack. These methods were used with my previous cars and they always got the estimated MPG or better, including in my SUV.

I will let a few more tanks go by before I send it in to the dealer to check it out. Hondas do not provide loaner cars when you drop them off for service, so I need to calculate my cost into the rental.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:42 AM

I would like to thank everyone that put in advice on the mileage. I will say for the people on this forum treating their cars like handicapped or crippled things, you really need to revaluate yourself.

We talk about extremist all the time on the news and what problems come from such people. I think of the extremists that blow things up. Or the people that lead us to be searched at airports and cannot bring bottled water on planes anymore.

A Hybrid car is a normal car with a different type of propulsion system. It isn’t different than a CNG based car or an Ethanol based car.

Seeing that I drive my car normally, as in step on the brakes when I need to at the very last minute (allow my car to coast to the red light) or accelerate slowly as to not lead the pack. These methods were used with my previous cars and they always got the estimated MPG or better, including in my SUV.

I will let a few more tanks go by before I send it in to the dealer to check it out. Hondas do not provide loaner cars when you drop them off for service, so I need to calculate my cost into the rental.

Also, the comment on selling my car to buy a regular car, Sorry, I am not selling my Hybrid yet. I will keep it around for at least 3 years before I sell it. Although I didn't get rid of my 94 Civic until a truck ran over it... But time will tell.

Hopefully Honda will release a hybrid Edition of the CRV next.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast

Hey Arbittan, good luck with this. And don't let the 'extremists' on this forum get to you. Most of us are normal drivers like you.

By the way, was there any problem with your tire pressures?

Old 10-17-2007, 10:59 AM
HypoFueler

Arbittan,

I hope the HCH2 works out for you eventually - it did for me after some practice.

As a benchmark, you should be able to average about 60mpg at 60mph using cruise control. This assumes level ground, no wind/rain, not cranking AC. If you are down in the 40s at this point, the car may have issues.

Around town and in stop and go, I usually can get in the 50s but yes, I tend to avoid hard braking and acceleration. I expect it would be in the 40s or upper 30s if I drove "normally" like I used to.

Good luck.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Part Time Hybrids

I'm an extremist

I feel walmart shall be my target. I wonder how far into the store I can get if I hypermile while attempting to ram the front.

Alot of general questions can be found in articles on the cleanmpg website. How to save gas without trying. Wortht he read, you can't complain unless you read it

Old 10-17-2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by 46jimbo
Hey Arbittan, good luck with this. And don't let the 'extremists' on this forum get to you. Most of us are normal drivers like you.

By the way, was there any problem with your tire pressures?

Sorry, I did not. I will do it before I leave work today since it has been sitting all day.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Poor Gas Mileage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands