Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Question about Thumping sound when I drive (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/question-about-thumping-sound-when-i-drive-23585/)

abelg99 01-05-2010 05:46 AM

Question about Thumping sound when I drive

I've had my Honda Civic Hybrid 08 for just under two years. Have 26000 miles on it already. Just yesterday when I was coming home I noticed a thumping sound as I pulled out of the parking garage to head home.

If I reversed I heard no thumping sound. When I pull forward at any speed I hear that sound.

Any suggestions as to what can be making that noise? Tires appear to be clean, doesn't make that sound if I have the car in park and accelerate.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

GardenWeasel 01-06-2010 05:54 PM

Re: Question about Thumping sound when I drive

When I have a hard to identify noise, I have my wife drive it slowly while I stand or walk beside it....but its been a long time since I've had to do that!
Do you drive any gravel roads that might have thrown a rock into your disc brakes - though thats usually a grinding noise... do you hear it or can you feel it?

Harold 01-07-2010 09:21 AM

Sounds like a bad tire. I would run it in for a check? Could be CVT? Hope not. What are you pressing you tires to? Hal

Mendel Leisk 01-08-2010 12:23 PM

Are you going straight, or in a turn? If in a turn it might CV Joints, going bad, flinging grease, or both. I can't for the life of me remember what that acronym stands for (maybe Constantant Velocity), but these joints are at "elbows" in the drive shafts, between engine and wheels, encased in flexible rubber boots. There's an inside and outside one on each side.

bartosis@yahoo.com 01-10-2010 06:40 PM

I had the same problem with my 09 Civic Hybrid. I took three trips to the dealer to fix. They told me the alignment was off in the rear because I hit something. Nonsense I noticed cupping on the back tires after the first 150 miles on the car. The dealer said they adjusted the rear camber. I say they replaced parts. I'm not happy with Honda for not telling me what the repair was.