Shocked at the value of our cars...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 05:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Shocked at the value of our cars...

Originally Posted by cartunes
I plan to sell my 05 HCH and buy an 06 HCH. The tax break is enough incentive for me to spend the extra money on the Hybrid vs. the EX.
I wish you guys never brought up this subject~~

Seriously, this is good news. My 05 HCH (only 4 months old) has about the same reported KBB value as it did when I bought it. All, please check my logic here...

So if I sold my 05 HCH and bought the 06 HCH, could I realize tax savings / deductions on BOTH? That's assuming I can find an 06 at a decent price.

Help please?

Thanks!
Lansing

Old 11-13-2005, 06:13 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: Shocked at the value of our cars...

Originally Posted by Lansing

Seriously, this is good news. My 05 HCH (only 4 months old) has about the same reported KBB value as it did when I bought it. All, please check my logic here...

So if I sold my 05 HCH and bought the 06 HCH, could I realize tax savings / deductions on BOTH? That's assuming I can find an 06 at a decent price.

Help please?

Thanks!
Lansing
You need Jan. delivery on the 06 HCH to take Tax Credit; Jan. 1st or after.

HTH

Terry

Old 11-13-2005, 06:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Shocked at the value of our cars...

Help please?

Thanks!
Lansing
What tax savings do you have in mind?

Yes, you can probably claim the $2000 deduction on your 05 HCH even if you sell it before the end of the year. And you can probably get another deduction on a 06 HCH if you buy it this year, or a tax credit if you buy it next year.

The net value of a deduction depends on your tax bracket. If you're in the 25% bracket (a lot of "middle class" people are) then the deduction is worth $500 in your pocket.

But keep in mind that, depending where you live, you probably paid close to $2000 in sales/use tax when you bought the 05, and you'll pay the same again on the 06, and there ain't nobody gonna give you back that money.

Old 11-13-2005, 06:26 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: KBB is always too optimistic.

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Why would anyone even consider paying >$22,000 for a used 05 or earlier HCH which on paper is inferior in all respects?You would probably have to ship the Prius-$1000-but you would have full warranty on a "better" vehicle.
.Charlie
You say "better" I say "better" is in the EYE of the beholder and I for one love my HCH! Oh and I got it for under MSRP AND they had them iIN stock! Kevin

Old 11-13-2005, 06:30 PM
reformed speed demon

this was so interesting i couldn't resist checking my FEH too, an '06 which i've had for only 2 months. kelly blue book actually doesn't have the '06 FEH loaded yet, so i just used '05, but according to them my resale value has gone up about $500! trade in value dropped a little, but i have a feeling a dealership would go high, knowing they could probably sell the car w/in a day or two.

Old 11-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElanC

Yes, you can probably claim the $2000 deduction on your 05 HCH even if you sell it before the end of the year. And you can probably get another deduction on a 06 HCH if you buy it this year, or a tax credit if you buy it next year.

The net value of a deduction depends on your tax bracket. If you're in the 25% bracket (a lot of "middle class" people are) then the deduction is worth $500 in your pocket.

But keep in mind that, depending where you live, you probably paid close to $2000 in sales/use tax when you bought the 05, and you'll pay the same again on the 06, and there ain't nobody gonna give you back that money.
Good point. I, too, love my 05 HCH and I'm just playing around with scenarios. The tax break you mentioned doesn't offset the sales tax--but boy just thinking about a car with Nav is cool.

Thanks for the Insight (pun intended).

Lansing

Old 11-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Vegetarian

Thanks for the Insight (pun intended).
boy i wish someone would give me an insight

Old 11-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Drove the 06...claimed 'fixes?'

Originally Posted by ElanC

Ok, I broke down and drove the 06 HCH even though I love my 3 month old 05 HCH. The new seems nice. Power off the line and an appealing look (at least to me). I'll likely stick to my car--I love it, and I definitely don't want to pay sales tax twice!

Has anyone heard...are there really '06 enhancements such as noise reduction, etc? I saw many little things that would be nice - stereo control on the steering wheel, NAV, etc. But those are minor.

Thanks,
Lansing

Old 11-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I bought my 04 HCH CVT AT-PZEV in April 04.
It has 20,000 miles.

I paid $19,300, $2000 under MSRP.
KBB today is $20,185

Amazing!

And Yes I am considering selling it private party and getting an 06.
But I'll wait till Feb or so when some of the frenzy is over.

Old 11-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Me too...

I'm in CA, so I don't know if I can score stickers for the HOV lane if I wait too long. And yes, I'd prefer to wait out the 'frenzy.'

That said:

- Wondering if I can get KBB or other...I saw an '04 HCH with 20K on it at the dealer today for $25!!!
- Taxes as someone said is a drawback. I'll be taxed twice.
- Have to figure out if I can take advantage of the tax incentives and what that timing is.

Good stuff!

Quick Reply: Shocked at the value of our cars...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands