Should I get the Warranty on the HCH II ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Should I get the Warranty on the HCH II ?

PLEASE shop the price around. Thats a terrible one. You can buy it from ANY dealership in the US, and you can take it to any dealership in the US if you have a problem. Save yourself some money please.

Old 03-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Energy Independence

Buying an extended warranty is a personal decision, and while Honda and Toyota are excellent automobiles, I would seroiusly consider having the extended warranty with the hybrids. They are evolving rather quickly, and sometimes that itself can lead to unforseen issues.

What mexiken says is very true, with one "BUT".

The ONLY "BUT" that I know of is this:
If you are buying your car for the state of Florida, that state (in its over-protective attempt to keep its citizens from being ripped off by poor extended warranty companies) has decided that you MUST buy your extended Honda warranty from a Florida Honda dealer.

This, of course, means that there is virtually NO price competition in Florida, so the prices are generally too high. Sorry, Floridians!

If you live in any other state, please do yourself a favor, and check out the better pricing that is available. There are several threads here on GreenHybrid on this very topic. Some names are named and some prices are quoted. Search a little. Far better prices than you were given. I plan to get my extended warranty in exactly this manner. That is, if I ever get my HCH-II.

Last edited by gumby; 03-18-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Enthusiast

Wow, thanks to all for the great info...info that will save me at least $800! I still have time to ponder the decision since my HCHII won't be in for another week or two.

Speaking of time, I was told by the dealer I could wait to purchase the HCHII warranty only up until I have 5000 miles on the car...anyone else hear differently?

Old 03-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NEWNEW
Wow, thanks to all for the great info...info that will save me at least $800! I still have time to ponder the decision since my HCHII won't be in for another week or two.

Speaking of time, I was told by the dealer I could wait to purchase the HCHII warranty only up until I have 5000 miles on the car...anyone else hear differently?
I'm glad you have better reason to make your decision now that you have asked around about others'. Dont forget to consider how long you plan to keep this car; Like another person said before, this technology evolves quickly and you may even consider to buy another more advanced hybrid in 4-5 years. by that time i doubt you'll put more than 80,000mi on your car. If you decide to trade in, you just threw the money you paid for the extended warranty away.
I didnt get the extended warranty with toyota because i plan to trade in after 100,000km or 60,000mi or 5 years

Good luck
regards,
gj

Last edited by CamelFilters; 03-18-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Keep in mind that any extended warranty or insurance is really just gambling. If you do not purchase an extended warranty you are betting that your car will not break. If you do get an extended warranty you are paying for piece of mind and betting that the car WILL break.

Old 03-19-2006, 07:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

I agree with what others here have posted - it's a difficult decision and should be based on your driving habits, expected miles, budget, etc. But please please please shop around for the warranty. Chances are buying it directly from your dealer is going to cost you about double for the exact same Honda Care warranty you can buy online at about a dozen sites (most, if not all, are also regular B&M Honda dealers).

I bought the 6/120 on my HCH - paid $820-ish for it from Bernardi Honda.

I put about 30k miles per year on my car commuting to work (130mi daily). The fact that I'll have run through the factory warranty in about 12 months, plus concerns over cost to repair the CVT transmission and the Navi system shoud either fail, made the decision to purchase the warranty pretty easy for me.

I did not buy it on my Insight and as it turns out - if I could have bought it for around $800 - I probably would have broken even on some smaller repairs toward the end of the Insight's service. My Insight was a 5-speed, but if it were a CVT, I probably would have been more inclined to purchase the warranty.

Note that I have no real concerns over the IMA system, although it's also covered under the Honda Care warranty. I put about 140k miles on my Insight before trading it in and had zero problems with the IMA system.