Solution to the MPG fixation

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Solution to the MPG fixation

I second Sledge's comment !!!! Thats the first thing that popped into my mind when I read some posts. Its like second nature for us hardcore video gamers, and just as video games addicted us then, this will addict us now. Hey, I'd rather it be the impg meter then the videogames....I feel less dorky that way....

Old 03-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hey I'm a hard cord gamer myself and for that reason I didn't want to continue. It's doesn't have very good gameplay and the graphics are very simple

Old 03-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Proud owner HCHII

I find this a most interesting and mature thread. "Moderation in all things" is a wise saying. HCHII is such a pleasure to drive ( I am only on day 6) and is quiet, well made and a technological Aladdin's cave.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coyote

1. Domestic Tranquility. I no longer care that much if my spousal unit drives the car. She is unable to get the MPG that I do, and it used to bother me that my MPG would drop when she drove the car. So I'd hint that maybe she should take her car (the minivan). Now, I know she is getting way better mileage by driving my HCH, and I don't get the evil-eye treatment, so it's all good.
So true!

My wife is the primary driver of the HCH. Her MPG is much worse than mine. I have never, not once, tried to talk her into changing her driving habits to improve FE. She's not as thrilled about the HCH as I am, and I don't want to cause her to feel any antagonism toward the car. When we drive together we always use the HCH and I get to practice a bit of MPG fixation. But I do it in stealth fashion so she doesn't notice my slight obsession.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:10 PM
YA RLY.

Originally Posted by VampHuntD
Hey I'm a hard cord gamer myself and for that reason I didn't want to continue. It's doesn't have very good gameplay and the graphics are very simple
A new graphics card should fix that. I suggest a pair of half-gig Nvidia 7800GTX's in an SLI mobo

Old 03-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Proud owner HCHII

Elan

Funny my wife's comment when we were first driving our new car - "I hope you are not going to be paranoid about driving this car"!

So I gave her a two hour spell at the wheel, which won her over, while I kept very quiet. Harmony is essential. If it is to be her or the HCHII we all know who (not what) will have to go!

Old 03-09-2006, 06:39 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

1. Domestic Tranquility. I no longer care that much if my spousal unit drives the car. She is unable to get the MPG that I do, and it used to bother me that my MPG would drop when she drove the car. So I'd hint that maybe she should take her car (the minivan). Now, I know she is getting way better mileage by driving my HCH, and I don't get the evil-eye treatment, so it's all good.
LOL!!!!!

I'm ashamed to admit I'm not quite there yet. Monday was a perfect example. I had to take my wife's Pilot to work to haul something home, so she has my HCH. MFD reads 49.2 when I give it to her. Tuesday morning, it's at 48.0. She drove 3 miles, and took a 1.2 MPG hit. This, whith close to 300 miles on the tank.

I'm curious, so I consult the 'wife tracker' (on-line checking account activity, which shows a trail of receipts documenting where she's been - which she hates when I do that, but I can't resist.... ). Sure enough - Starbucks drive through, Monday morning. So my opening comment to her Tuesday evening was, "So I take a 1.2 MPG hit so you can buy coffee?". Then I get the, "Will you stop doing that! And you go there too, so I don't want to hear it."

"Yes, but I shut off the engine in the drive through."

"Well I'm not a sick as you are. Anyway, if I did that your car would blow up or something stupid like that and then I'd really hear about it."

PS: since no one here really knows us as a couple, we do this all the time in jest. It's all good-natured ribbing - neither one of us take this seriously.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:48 AM
Proud owner HCHII

Will Honda (or this website) be prepared to speak up on our behalf if we end up in the divorce court? We need someone on our side surely who understands our awful predicament!

Old 03-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim
I'm curious, so I consult the 'wife tracker' (on-line checking account activity, which shows a trail of receipts documenting where she's been - which she hates when I do that, but I can't resist.... ). Sure enough - Starbucks drive through, Monday morning. So my opening comment to her Tuesday evening was, "So I take a 1.2 MPG hit so you can buy coffee?".
Tim, I have a new nickname for you: "DeathWish". I stand in awe of your -- er -- manliness.

In my own situation I tend to treat She Who Must Be Obeyed with more deference as appropriate for the fairer sex. Meaning, I say "Yes Dear" a lot.

Old 03-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

I also realized just recently that I have lost almost of year of really good "think time". Driving from here to there, I have had some of my best ideas (work-related and otherwise) when behind the wheel.
Part of the reason I concentrate on it is so I don't have to think about work

I do agree that it's a bit of a distraction. I have suggested that it would be less distracting if the fuel gauge and the I-FCD gauge were switched. It would at least keep your focus centered within your lane.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Solution to the MPG fixation

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands