Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sunroof

Well, just got another call, the same place will happily install one for $895.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 05-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shawnb
Hmm... just got a call from the dealer, they won't put the sunroof in. They say it'll "seriously" effect my fuel economy by 15MPG or more
That's ludicrous.

Maybe they should seal all the windows shut because opening them must also hurt FE by 15 MPG.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElanC
That's ludicrous.

Maybe they should seal all the windows shut because opening them must also hurt FE by 15 MPG.

The main affect to MPG will come from the added weight and the lack of a flush seal. Frankly it should be neglible.

Old 06-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

So I gather the MPG hit isn't significant with the added weight of a moon roof.

As I was told, no Civics (standard) come factory built with moonroofs, they are all 3rd party installed by the time it reaches the dealer or after it reaches the dealer. The company doing the moonroof on my HCH-II is the same one that does the moonroof for the Civic EX.

I'm not concerned. I do have some questions for the installers that'll be answered by Tuesday. Just want to verify the presence drain pipe and a few other things. But moon roofs these days are usually really high quality.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 06-19-2006, 04:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I don't believe what the dealer told you about the moonroof. Is he saying the that EXs and SIs have the moonroof installed after it gets to the port and not installed at he manufacturing plant when they are produced? Or is the saying that the DXs, LXs, and hybrids that don't come standard go through a 3rd party after it gets into port?

I would call Honda headquarters and ask about the moonroof. In my opinion the EXs and SIs have them installed when they are manufactured and not when they get to the port by a 3rd party. That would be too much trouble and work for Honda to do that when they have the means to have it done when they manufacture the car.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Enthusiast

That's BS about the sunroof not coming from the factory. What port is he talking about anyway, since the vast majority of Civics are built in Ohio! Man you guys have the worst salesmen with such crap stories.

15mpg loss! Hilarious!

As for the sunroof, forget about it, its such a hassle. Plus I would worry about the structural integritiy of the roof. I'm sure Honda does not just cut a hole in the roof to have a sunroof, they probably reinforce the whole roof. Plus they have to crash test both a sunroof equipped car and a non sunroof equipped car to meet goverment regulations. I know this because on the Porsche owner's board, they are all up in arms that they have to buy their cars with sunroofs because Porsche didn't certify their cars without.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by texas911
That's BS about the sunroof not coming from the factory. What port is he talking about anyway, since the vast majority of Civics are built in Ohio! Man you guys have the worst salesmen with such crap stories.
My Civic was manufactured in Japan. It arrives in the Long Beach port.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 06-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I am positive this is not and Honda factory moonroof. The salesman is blowing smoke. I would not get an aftermarket moonroof from the horror stories I have heard from people that got them installed afterwards and not from the factory. Good luck having any other Honda dealer to warranty it besides the one you purchased it from.

But, if it is factory it should have the same switch and everything like the Civic EXs and SIs with the one touch open and close. But, again I am positive this is a not a Honda moonroof, but a 3rd party moonroof.

Old 06-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast

I said the vast majority of Civics, not every Civic.

Old 06-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Enthusiast

Here's the scenario that I can think of in terms of FE impact...
1) if the moonroof is use in open position esp at highway speeds (can be reduced if there's a deflector on the leading edge (like the OEM Honda ones)).
2) if you keep the internal sunshade open and let more light and heat - causing you to have the use the AC more or make the AC work harder
3) weight - probably neglible

Quick Reply: Sunroof

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands