Sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 07:46 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Anybody else get a sunroof for their HCH besides Falcon18323? I'm curious about the experiences of others (I'm not a big fan of sample sizes of 1), so I thought I'd refresh the thread. Falcon's posts were very helpful, but I'd still like to hear from others who have done the same thing.

I thought I remembered somebody else on this forum indicating that they were going to install an aftermarket sunroof, but I could not find the post. Thanks!

Old 02-24-2005, 08:07 AM
hyperactive enthusiast

I was asking my dealer/salesguy about the fold down rear seat when we were looking at HCH. He said the Hybrids don't have that because of the battery pack. He also went into a story about how the hybrids don't have a sunroof because there are alot more wiring packs going through the roof. He said he had heard of someone trying to install an aftermarket sunroof, and they cut through the wiring harness in the roof and then had a big mess.
I think I'd be really careful about cutting open that roof. Maybe you can get a technical/repair sheet from Honda showing where the harnesses are?

Old 03-04-2005, 04:08 PM
Enthusiast

I still haven't put one in...and I don't think I'm going to after reading the last post!

Old 03-10-2005, 06:01 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msgraves99
I still haven't put one in...and I don't think I'm going to after reading the last post!
The key is to have a Honda tech do it. I had mine installed when I bought the car. Contact your Honda dealer. If they hedge, they just don't have anyone that is knowledgable with hybrids. If your Honda dealer can't do it, ask another one. John Hinderer Honda did an outstanding job.

Old 03-10-2005, 08:55 PM

Falcon,
Where did they mount the switch for the sunroof?

Old 03-12-2005, 10:07 PM
lost - boy
Default webasto after market sunroof

i had a webasto sunroof/moonroof combo installed in my 05 hch with no problems whatsoever, including a drop in gas mileage for a few months now.

i have been getting better at driving my hch so if anything the mileage has been increasing, up to 55 miles per gallon.

about the weird whooshing vibrating feeling with just the moon roof open, it is true. i need to crack a back window to negate that effect. i usually drive with the sun roof cracked open to allow for appropriate air flow in the car and to keep the air fresh. i notice with just the sun roof cracked and the internal air vents "off" that the vents do get a lot more air sucked out of them, promoting additional air flow. uber cool in my personal opinion. and with the auto-close, i thought that was outstandingly cool; i wish that the internal windows did the same thing (like in those jetta commercials from the past).

i have had nothing but an awesome experience with my sun/moon roof from installation to thunder storms. it was a risk i took, and it has paid off nicely. you can still get a nice airflow, while keeping up with aerodynamics.

as for the mount point of the control panel, it is front of the installation point, center on the ceiling between the two seats.

nothing but love!

Old 04-09-2005, 09:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Sunroof?

I just came back from the dealer to put a deposit on a 2005 HCH MT. They sadly informed me that Honda sent a memo to all dealerships in March strongly discouraging any modifications to the factory spec, including sunroofs. I read the whole memo and Honda is saying that if a dealership installs a sunroof, the dealership takes on the responsibility of any personal injury as a result of having the sunroof, thus absolving Honda. So, the dealer said that while they would not install a sunroof, they would recommend an after market installer. Today they came back and said that none of the after market installers they knew would do it.

Can anyone recommend an after market sunroof installer in the Philadephia region?

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2005, 01:03 PM
lost - boy

a little research found this; being from pennsylvania, downingtown should be pretty close to anyone living in the philadelphia region. same company installed mine.

DOWNINGTOWN
CHETTY'S AUTO TOPS & UPHOLSTERY
110 North Milford Rd.
Downington, PA 19335
Phone: +1 610 458 9629
Fax: +1 610 458 9629

Products Offered:
Sunroofs

check it out and let us know how everything goes.
-andrew

Old 04-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Enthusiast

Will do. My parents live out by Downingtown. I will post my results.

Thanks a bunch.