Test Drive - Unable to experience EV Mode!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 06:41 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Test Drive - Unable to experience EV Mode!

Just fyi, you should be able to get EV at any speed down to around 10 mph or so. I discovered this while driving in the parking lot on the way in to work one morning.

If you want to test it, try the following:

You'll need a long, flat stretch where no one is going to be riding on your tail. Large parking lots can make good candidates. Get the car up to around 20 mph, then let it coast. FCD should go to 100 mpg. Then coax it into EV mode and hold it there (watch out for lamp posts! ). If your experience is like mine, you should see the car slowly decelerate to about 11 mph and stay there. This tells me that, with forward momentum already established, the 20 HP motor can sustain about 11 mph. Not much, and explains why it doesn't do much to hold speed for you while cruising.

Old 04-21-2006, 08:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElanC
Autostop does not engage when the defrost is on because defrost automatically starts the AC.
My 2006 autostops with the A/C on. Doesn't yours?

Old 04-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Proud owner HCHII

Yes it should do! It now has a little compressor that can run either on the engine or the battery. Have you seen the video?

Old 04-21-2006, 07:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AZMerf
My 2006 autostops with the A/C on. Doesn't yours?

the '06 a/c will work in autostop but *not* when defrost is active. something about fan speed...

Old 04-22-2006, 12:05 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Test Drive - Unable to experience EV Mode!

Originally Posted by NovaScotian
Thank you all for your replies...Much Apperciated.

Yes, I was told the car was on the lot for a few days. I noticed digital white bars on the left side of the tach showing 2 or 3 bars when I started. By the time I returned to the dealer it looked as if there only 2 bars missing from the Max reading. I assume this was the Hybrid Battery status.

The dealer told me they had 750KM (465 Miles) from the first tank doing test drives. Thats seems good to me having a variety of drivers behind the wheel. I hope to do much better than that when mine arrives. I'm hoping a tank will provide me an average of 1000 KM (600 Miles) per tank. If my driving is 50/50 city/highway, after I adapt to being good hybrid driver.
Hi Dave;

Here is a Pic of my instruments after a trip on Easter. As you can see the MPG & Miles Driven, as well as the {Remaining} Fuel showing in Gauge. So I think you will be Happy with your HCH II. I am. These miles were driven at 65 MPH and then I got into dead stop 1 1/2 hrs. of traffic in Nashville, Tennessee coming back last Friday evening and then drove the car to work last week and that is only a very short 4.6 miles each way. As you can see it (HCH II) does very well. This Pic. was taken with my New Cell Phone. It does a Super Job and I now Do-Not have to Purchase a separate Digital Camera.
Click on Pic to Enlarge: