Which Tires to get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 06:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Which Tires to get?

Originally Posted by CH103
One question about Tires Marketed as fuel efficient.

Considering many variables that go into a mpg figure for a combo of car, driver and environment, how can we accurately obtain the increase in mpg solely attributable to the tire?

Would this work?

Same driver, same car, with the driver attempting drive identically on two different sets of tires.

Assuming 5 yrs tire life per tire tested (and im going with 2 brands tested) it would take at least 10 yrs to get an accurate mpg reading.
I've no idea how it's specifically done, but I'm sure to test Rolling Resistance the tire's just mounted on some some sort of dynometer, brought up to speed, and timed for coast-to-stop. There might be a preliminary break-in, to scrub off the possible sticky residues from manufacturing process.

With the current energy conservation attitudes, it's disconcerting that Rolling Resistance statistics are still not manditory.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Ecopia Report

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
All humble opinions welcome. Glad to hear about the new Ecopias... hurry and drive!
I bought the Ecopia's when they first came out and now have close to 5k on them.

Initial reaction: Ecopia's were quiet and rode nicely, taking out imperfections in the road, and making the ride more much more comfortable on both highways and surface streets. The car does not follow lines in the pavement and it now takes small potholes and bumps much better.

5K update: The tires perform well. The ride continues to impress me, and I have no regrets. Not only are the tires comfortable, but my mileage is roughly the same as when I had the OEM Bridgestone Insignias. The difference is that the ride is much more sure, and the comfort level is terrific. One thing I am noticing is that the tires will make a little noise if I take corners quickly. They still behave much better than the original tires. These are good tires and I suspect they will give me some good utility and longevity.

Hope this helps....

Lansing