Tranny Problem in the HCH II

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 10:53 AM
Rarely post anything
Default Re: Tranny Problem in the HCH II

Yes, that should be the battery trying to preserve itself (from you...lol).

Keep in mind that what you take from the battery has to be paid back - and the payback generally comes in reduced mileage capabilty while the IMA system tells the motor to generate electricity.

The IMA system generally uses an 80% / 20% charging optimization; that is, it doesn't like the battery higher than 80% or lower than 20%. At approximately 50%, it's going to start putting charge back into the pack. At 100%, it's going to give out 'extra' assist to bring you back down to 80%. That's why you'll generally see the meter between 5/8 and 7/8 (at least on mine, that's the case. I've only seen 4/8 once - and that's when I first test drove it).

A sidebar for thought - I wonder if the charging algorithm has some 'learning logic' in it - ie; it learns the driver's style and adjusts accordingly, like the ECU does with fuel / timing.

There's also a scenario with the 1st-gen HCH where you can force charging (to 'max') by driving with your headlamps on (a carryover from the Insight's logic). I don't know yet if that's the case with the new HCH yet - I've driven with headlamps on for a good amount of time, but can't say that it charges the battery 100%.

I believe from reading your earlier posts that you live in a hilly area, with some elevation. Thus, you'll need the pack a bit more than some of us flatlanders. But in general, the less you cycle the pack, the longer it will serve you well.

You have a good tank average, and with practice, it'll get even better. But don't be tempted to invoke EV-mode at every single opportunity. I use it mostly when cruising through my office park, in my development community where I live, and in other slow-speed scenarios like parking lots, etc. Also on certain downward grades.

But to be honest - most of the times I invoke it on the street, it's pretty much accidental (my foot is so light on the pedal that letting up on it to slow and maintain my buffer, etc, actually invokes EV-mode for a second or so).

Old 02-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenAndBlue
But don't be tempted to invoke EV-mode at every single opportunity.
I'm going to have to take issue with this. If I am using EV-mode, I am not using gas. As long as in the normal course of driving I don't run my battery pack down (and I have never seen it at 4 bars) why would I not want to invoke EV-mode if at all possible?

Ron in SoCal

Old 02-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Wow, I've seen the bars at 3 or so at times, maybe even down to 2 once or twice, ha ha....something must be wrong with the way I drive then....

Old 02-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Well, I don't use FAS, because I just don't believe in it, for safety and wear and tear on the IMA starter. When the HCH II pegs to 100 mpg, the motor cuts fuel anyway, and since I coast to stops, I'm usually pegged out long before I slow down to 20-25 or wherever the other people induce FAS's at. Further, I should note, that for ALL my nearly 4000 miles on my car, of the 95 % highway driving, all but 600 miles (the break in ones) were done at speeds of 60 plus. I live in L.A., its very spread out, and there is just no patience by other drivers to go 50-60. Thats not to mention that I don't have time to go anything below 60. I pick that number simply for the fact that I'm going a mile a minute, makes distance times easy to calculate knowing the distance. My avg speed is probably near 70 mpg, but I've gone up to 80, 90, even 100 in the car before (on an empty stretch of road at night of course). Hypermiling is nice, but its not practical where I live. I'm content with getting EPA figures at speeds from 65-80 mph. I don't think most owners of non-hybrid cars can say they get even half that at those speeds....

Old 02-15-2006, 03:37 PM
04 prius 350,000km

lol omg it was state of charge, the IMA forces regen when your bars are 5 or below. So that you don't fry up your battery in the long run. Read the HCHII summary thread for all about EV and learning to get the most out of it.