Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   What's the fastest you've gone while in auto-stop? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/whats-fastest-youve-gone-while-auto-stop-17433/)

giantquesadilla 03-16-2008 10:35 AM

What's the fastest you've gone while in auto-stop?

A couple of weeks ago, I slowed down at a stop sign and my engine auto-stopped. I usually do not AS at this intersection, because my car was not warm enough. Anyways, this day it was already warm, and I rolled through the stop at about 5mph. I turned right, going downhill. I got up to 20mph without taking my foot off the break, staying in AS mode. (I had to slow down at the next stop) I know this is no different than being in EV-glide gas wise (EV glide is probably better, because you can regen if slowing down), but I was just curious if anyone else has done this, and what speed they have gotten up to. I have some pretty steep hills in my neighborhood, so I may do some experimenting just for fun.

yangsta 03-17-2008 02:31 PM

Re: What's the fastest you've gone while in auto-stop?

Downhill in city driving during rush hour just after a traffic light, I got up to 35 before I had to turn :)

gumby 03-17-2008 08:42 PM

Wow, Yangsta!
I've gone up to about 20 on multiple occasions, but rarely any more than 20.

yangsta 03-17-2008 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by gumby (Post 165205)
Wow, Yangsta!
I've gone up to about 20 on multiple occasions, but rarely any more than 20.

It was pretty much the perfect storm of situations -- I haven't exceeded 15 or 20 with the exception of that one time :)

300TTto545 03-18-2008 04:09 AM

I got up to 25 once - it was a traffic situation on a hill I drive everyday. There was some construction because there is almost never traffic here. When I finally let off on the brake - the transition was quite rough. Like you would expect if you were trying to start a MT car by rolling down the hill and poping the clutch.

giantquesadilla 03-18-2008 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by 300TTto545 (Post 165225)
I got up to 25 once - it was a traffic situation on a hill I drive everyday. There was some construction because there is almost never traffic here. When I finally let off on the brake - the transition was quite rough. Like you would expect if you were trying to start a MT car by rolling down the hill and poping the clutch.

Yeah. After letting off at about 15mph, I decided to slow to a stop before accelerating. Even though it isn't fuel efficient, I really don't think that clunk can be good.

Estoril73 03-18-2008 05:02 PM

Save your transmission guys! Don't do it!;)

Jess 03-18-2008 05:18 PM

I felt that clunk once before. I didn't like the sound or feel of it. Haven't done it since.

gumby 03-19-2008 09:05 PM

Or slow back down to under 5mph before letting the gas engine kick back in. That's what I do. You have still overcome inertia (you're rolling), but you're not killing the tranny.

giantquesadilla 03-20-2008 02:36 PM

I got it up to 29 today. I slowed to a stop and then let the engine turn on. No clunks :D