When is the 06HCH EVER in all electric mode?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 09:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: When is the 06HCH EVER in all electric mode?

Originally Posted by Kephra
I think Honda made it difficult to reach EV mode for a reason. So, I don't see the logic of trying to force the car into a mode which is probably less efficient except under a very limited set of circumstances. But I think we agree on that.
The reason it's difficult is because the electric motor has so little power. If Honda thought the EV mode was totally useless, they could easily have programmed it to never happen.

Old 04-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cryx
From another thread, I was under the belief that the 2006 has sacrificed the ability to run on 1 cylinder?
i think you're right. the vcm on the previous models could cylinder idle only 3 of the 4 cylinders. the 06 can idle all 4 so there's no need to have 1 cylinder firing. basically, it's an improvement as pumping losses are greatly reduced and obviously there's no fuel being consumed.

Old 04-23-2006, 09:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cryx
From another thread, I was under the belief that the 2006 has sacrificed the ability to run on 1 cylinder?
You must be right about that. I tried to find the article where I read that, and cannot, so I will assume that I am wrong about that point. My bad.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok, I knew I saw it somewhere..

Deactivation down to zero: There are a few cars on the road that save gas by de-activating cylinders when they are not needed. The Civic Hybrid, in certain cruising modes, can deactivate ALL of its cylinders. During this time, the electric motor alone powers the vehicle. At other stages of acceleration and cruising, Honda's variable valve system allows cylinders to open and close for the right mix of performance and efficiency.
Link

-and-

... its engine never completely disengages and, while combustion can shut down in up to all four cylinders, it keeps turning.
Link

Of course, they could be wrong too

Old 04-26-2006, 09:34 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone.. you are indeed correct.. I was able to get it to run in all EV mode.. though as others have stated, its use is somewhat arguable. Still, it never hurts to have another tool in the fight for mpg...
Larry

Old 04-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast

I have tried it too,but i noticed that I did not achieve any better MPG by doing so.So I would stick the actual functionality and the onboard computers to take care,what to start when.....??

Old 04-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

I was using cruise control the other day on the highway (going about 100km/h, a little under 65mph) and the car slipped into "EV mode" for a few seconds while going into a slight decline on the road.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

On a steep enough decline, you can maintain EV for the entire downhill run.

Originally Posted by Kintak
I was using cruise control the other day on the highway (going about 100km/h, a little under 65mph) and the car slipped into "EV mode" for a few seconds while going into a slight decline on the road.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:19 AM
Prius geek

Isn't that called coasting? You know, Sir Isaac Newton, gravity, all that...NOT EV power?

Old 04-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by finman
Isn't that called coasting? You know, Sir Isaac Newton, gravity, all that...NOT EV power?
No actually, with the HCH II you could be either coasting or in EV mode. If you press the gas pedal just enough to stop Regen you can coast, but if you press just a little harder you can get into EV mode.

Quick Reply: When is the 06HCH EVER in all electric mode?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands