Why'd you get the Civic over the Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 10:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Why'd you get the Civic over the Prius?

Originally Posted by Mikeyt758
I would have to agree with Zimbop about Japanese cars coming from Japan. And my sales person even confirmed this as he said he has noticed problems with some of their cars assembled here in the good ole US and very few problems with cars that are assembled in Japan. I don't think it matters about where the parts are made but actually the quality control in how the parts are assembled and put on the the car itself.
Well, there are personal impressions and prejudices, and there's hard data. Look at the Consumer Reports problem statistics for each car by model year. The Toyotas and Hondas built in the U.S. are top ranked. Just as good as those assembled in Japan.

Old 01-25-2006, 12:05 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

I have to agree with ElanC. My HCH will be my 11th Honda...Out of these, five have been NA made ('92 Civic, '94 Accord, '99 Ody, '03 Pilot and '05 Ody). My '90 Accord had the most issues, but still nothing major. My '99 Ody (traded at 100K) and '94 Accord (traded at 130K) were the best cars we've owned...my '05 Ody and '03 Pilot are right behind, but they don't have the high mileage that the others had. My '82 Accord had the highest mileage (185K) and was still a good car.

Also, out of the these, six were first year models. Of the six, only my '05 Ody (Rear Active Engine mount went bad at 20K) has had anything other than a couple trim pieces that needed fixing. In fact, out of all the cars, the engine mount replacement has been the only significant warranty repair and the only repair outside of "normal" wear.

So, based on my experiences, ANY Honda, Japanese, US, Canadian, First Year Model, Mid-Cycle Model...it doesn't matter. They have all been good.

Now, contrast that with my '97 Dodge Grand Caravan ES (POS). Couldn't wait to get rid of it by 20K miles. I really can't complain about the '03 Sub. It had a lot of small electrical problems and a major problem with the Climate Control, but since 30K miles (25K ago), it has been trouble free except for the memory seat that loses it's memory every couple weeks. They never could figure out what was going on...

Old 01-25-2006, 03:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My next prius, I want it sittin on 17" spinners and tub thumpin down the road!

<j/k> The next hybrid I buy will be a model that appeals to me, looks, ride, comfort, easy usability & most of all MPG....

I waould like to get a hybrid Tundra but that wont be to soon as they have not started one yet so maybe a accord or camry. I guess a solara conv. would be cool for the wife lol...

Old 01-25-2006, 07:40 PM
YA RLY.

Originally Posted by ElanC
Well, there are personal impressions and prejudices, and there's hard data. Look at the Consumer Reports problem statistics for each car by model year. The Toyotas and Hondas built in the U.S. are top ranked. Just as good as those assembled in Japan.
My 2k1 Civic was made in East Liberty, OH. I had noisy springs and a rusted heat shield pin both of which were quickly fixed. In 5 years that's all.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Enthusiast

Stick Shift! :-)

Old 01-27-2006, 06:00 PM
It's not easy being Green

Just picked up my HCH II last Saturday, now have 300 miles on it.
1. liked the Honda interior materials much better.
2. liked the Honda dash instruments and placement.
3. liked the Honda normal sedan config; not a hatchback.
4. the ICE technology impressed me; vtec lobe for cylinder valve shutoff, offset crankshaft to reduce piston friction against bore, lightweight pistons with moly skirt coating, etc.
5. same gas mileage as the Prius, low 40s.
6. no dealer markups, shorter waiting list, no danger of missing Fed tax credit after 60,000 built, etc.
7. got a great deal, MSRP-$900 on a silver w/blue interior.

I'm a happy camper!

MG

Old 01-27-2006, 06:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

1. More space, I have space in the civic well, especially for my long legs...
2. Looks better, like a regular car, People wont stare...
3. Cheaper
4. I dident want a Hatchback
5. MPG is the same for both.. so no issues here
6. I'm used with Honda reliability, last 2003 Civic EX, I drove it 89k miles in 2 years and 4 months, all was fine, I just had oil, gas, tires and brake pads on it.. rest was untouched... unbelivable car, sold it for 9k that was amazing (considering that I bought it for 14k) in 2004 (yes, I bought the 2003 model, but brand new, 5 miles used)
5. I have friends Honda dealers... but I also have Toyota dealer friends... this not really something

Old 01-28-2006, 12:02 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Cool Re: Why'd you get the Civic over the Prius?

Originally Posted by MG_HCHII
Just picked up my HCH II last Saturday, now have 300 miles on it.
1. liked the Honda interior materials much better.
2. liked the Honda dash instruments and placement.
3. liked the Honda normal sedan config; not a hatchback.
4. the ICE technology impressed me; vtec lobe for cylinder valve shutoff, offset crankshaft to reduce piston friction against bore, lightweight pistons with moly skirt coating, etc.
5. same gas mileage as the Prius, low 40s.
6. no dealer markups, shorter waiting list, no danger of missing Fed tax credit after 60,000 built, etc.
7. got a great deal, MSRP-$900 on a silver w/blue interior.

I'm a happy camper!

MG
MG,
I hope you enter your mileage in the GH database after your first tank. I live near cold, snowy Buffalo, NY. I like to see what others get who live in nortern climates. Most of the top ten for mileage live in the southern states. I wonder if anyone has some data on using the engine block heaters to improve mpg? Good luck with your new ride.

Last edited by Donald; 01-28-2006 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-31-2006, 10:38 PM
It's not easy being Green

Hi Don:

First tank was done tonight: 420 miles, 10.36 gals, 40.54 mpg. Weather has been mostly rainy with temp in the 40s. Sorry, Portland Oregon only gets snow once every 3 or 4 years and then it's only an inch or two. Not like Buffalo at all!

I didn't do anything special to extend my mileage, other than following Honda's break in recommendations. I expect mileage will improve after a few thousand miles to get the engine internals properly polished. Even if it doesn't, 40 to 45 mpg is still great! I'll keep adding tanks to the database just so we can all build up a better picture of how things work on average.

MG

Old 02-01-2006, 05:06 AM
Enthusiastically Active

I have noticed that several here have listed the hatchback as a negative on the Prius. I'm curious why??? I think not having a hatchback is a negative on my HCH. I can't figure out why most Americans think negatively towards hatchbacks, when they tend to be more practical/flexible when it comes to cargo. Most hatchbacks also have a cover over the rear area, so cargo is still covered just as in a sedan. I can't think of a single disadvantage. I'm jealous about all of the great hatchbacks available in Europe. Help me out?

Quick Reply: Why'd you get the Civic over the Prius?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands