Why'd you get the Civic over the Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 06:34 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Why'd you get the Civic over the Prius?

Originally Posted by jmg14213
I would like more power, but I think most of it should have come from the IMA, not a V6. Why is the HAH powered with the VCM V6 and not the I4? Because it is being marketed as a sport sedan, not an economy sedan. Although I could and would appreciate the larger car for my job, I am not in the market for a sports car, I need a comfortable economy car. Hence, the Prius would have been a better purchase had the "user interface", re. dashboard and controls, been more conventional and appealing.
Morning, jmg. If I drive the Accord like some are driving the other hybrids, I can get ~52 - 45 overall. Because of my routes, I don't have the lanes or the speed limits to make that feasible without really making a few people unhappy.... My last tank was 38.3 mpg. Not bad for a 255 hp V6.

Most importantly: You mention you need a comfortable economy car. As far as comfort, the Prius does not touch the level of comfort of the Accord. I am very impressed with the Prius and the results it gets. And for many (obviously), the higher FE is the focus. But, when you bring "comfort" to the table, the Prius loses... in comparison to the Accord.

If you haven't driven a HAH, don't judge why they built it. It is an AMAZING car to drive. I love that you don't have just FE to consider anymore. If that was the case, we would all be driving Insights. Not a slam against Insights - a great car for the purpose it was designed.

Old 05-08-2005, 05:12 PM
JAY
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AZCivic
1) Check out the real mileage database:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/

Real owners are getting very similar mileage as a whole group between the Civic and Prius. Currently Civic owners have a median of 46mpg, and Prius is at 48mpg. That's not what I call "much better mileage" really.

2) You're getting a little confusing about the pricing. The Civic is without a doubt a less expensive car. Here in Phoenix one of the local dealers was advertising Civic Hybrids in stock at $18,500. Keep in mind, when you say "base price" it's a little misleading since the only option for the Civic is the CVT. Other than that, it's a fully loaded model. The Prius on the other hand can be optioned up to well into the 20's.

I think that really it comes down to how much you want to spend, and what you're looking to get out of it. The mileage is close enough that if you paid $22.5k for a Prius versus $18.5k for a Civic, you could drive a few million miles and not make up the cost savings from the difference in fuel consumption between the two. If you want a car with a bunch more features and a more high-tech look and feel, then the Prius, although it costs more when optioned up, it would certainly play the role of overtly high tech car better.
Don't forget the data base is the average for 100+ cars (both Civic and Prius).
I have the Prius. . .sorry, and I'm getting between 49.5 and 51.2 MPG but I know people that are getting 35-40 and a few claim 56-58.
So it really depends on your driving habbits (and speed).
I looked really hard at both cars before finally deciding on the Prius (at the time both cars had the same base price).
The Honda is a more 'Normal' looking car but Prius was just a better buy. . .More room, higher horse power, able to run on battery only for short distances, better display, better reviews. . .
Whatever, don't get either car just for the gas mileage, check out all the features and see which one drives like a 'normal' car.

Old 05-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAY
Whatever, don't get either car just for the gas mileage, check out all the features and see which one drives like a 'normal' car.
I agree - sometimes it comes down to driver experience preference - i didnt like how the prius felt when driving, and the seats didnt fit me - i sat down in the civic hybrid and i felt so comfortable and the car was very easy to drive. when you think about it, you're going to be driving the car for a good number of years (hopefully) so priority should be that you feel comfortable driving the one you choose. they're both great cars

Old 05-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Why'd you get the Civic over the Prius?

My family has a history of buying Hondas... my wife has an '03 CR-V, I have my '05 HCH, my daughter has our old '94 Accord and a '96 Civic that we bought her as a graduation gift. I had been driving an '03 Civic, and traded it in for my hybrid.

The Prius around Dallas was non-existent; one dealer told me to give him a (non-refundable) deposit of $1,000 and then wait at least 6 months but in early March my Honda dealer had several HCHs on the lot. I fell in love with it on my test drive.

I did not consider the HAH because Accords for me are too large; I feel better driving a smaller car, hence the Civic. I wanted a hybrid that did not cause me to stand out in a crowd, I wanted to blend in with the traffic. Hence I did not consider the Insight.

All the other hybrids are good, I just preferred the Civic.

Jimbob

Old 05-14-2005, 08:54 PM
Enthusiast

I really had my heart set on the Prius but I'm actually quite pleased with my HCH. I got it because:

It was available.

I wasn't on a waiting list for 6 months while the salesguy tried to talk me into taking anything BUT the one I specifically asked for (Package #1 with cassette/6-disk changer option in salsa red) until he FINALLY told me that I couldn't have the cassette with the package #1. I had to order a more expensive package. I got sick of being jerked around and went right to the Honda dealership. My family has had very good luck with Hondas in the past, so I know it's a good car.

Now the Toyota dealer I went to is jerking me around about refunding my deposit...

I like the look of the HCH better. It looks like a car. The instrument panel is where it should be (although I haven't quite gotten the hang of the gas gauge... how many lines to a gallon, anyway?). It was less expensive than the Prius. It rides nicely and I'm getting much better mileage than my old car (a '95 Ford Contour). It should get even better as the weather up here warms up!

Old 05-26-2005, 09:37 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I purchased my Civic over the Prius for one reason alone:
The Civic reputation for reliability, resalability, and just for being a derned good working car.

I have not been disappointed.

Old 05-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

I liked the idea of not paying a premium for the Prius. I did not want to put down a deposit, wait a long time, and possibly pay full sticker price and maybe some extra for the privelage of buying a car.

My Honda dealer made a price of $300.00 over invoice, with no extra charges. It was a pleasant buying experience. I showed up on the lot, picked out the color, and drove away within an hour. The Toyota dealerships were not as pleasant.

The HCH drives very nice. It is comfortable and the only compromise for me is the lack of fold down rear seats. I did not comsider the Accord based on price and not as impressive fuel consumption
I am sure the Prius is swell, just not for me.

Clay

Old 05-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi All:

___Not that I can add anymore to the discussion then what has been said already, the following is what I see although I do not own an HCH or Prius II.

___As can be seen in the RHMDB, the HCH is indeed holding its own against the Prius II in terms of real world FE. Let me put it another way. If I were purchasing a hybrid today knowing my habits and mostly highway travel, the Prius would be far from my top choice. If I had a more city/highway mixed drive, the Prius and HCH w/ a stick would be ~ equivalent. If it were a 100% city nightmare like in downtown N.Y., Chicago, L.A., San Francisco, etc. … the Prius would be my number 1 choice. The HCH (w/ a stick in particular) has some very distinct advantages over and above the Prius II and the tank over tanks w/ a hypermiler behind the windscreen bare this out.

___On a similar note; consider price. A brand new HCH w/ a stick can be had for the high $17 - mid $18K range as has been posted and these are relatively well loaded. The Prius II relatively well loaded w/ no option packages (if you could find one w/ no option packages) starts over $21,500 (another price increase!) or more depending on where you purchase it. It does include a stable of extra’s the HCH does not include but Honda had to sacrifice somewhere given the price target … When loaded up ($26,580 MSRP delivered + TTL), a Prius II can approach $28 - $30K depending on an unfathomable dealer mark up and your negotiation skills. This is one with all the toys of course.

___I have to go along with what Tink mentioned above. There are semi-lux and lux amenities, size, performance, comfort, and safety available in the Accord (Hybrid, non-hybrid I4, non-hybrid V6) for a price that makes the $’s some spend on the Prius II a bit high imho? If Toyota can decrease the hybrid markup on the 07 Camry w/ HSD, it might make a more interesting comparison for many as the price of a loaded up Camry XLE w/ HSD might just come in around the price of a loaded up Prius II? Depending on actual FE of the Camry hybrid, which automobile would one consider if the Prius II was currently at the top of one’s short list with the hybrid Camry just a year + away? The current day 05 HCH purchaser has to think along these lines as well given the 06 Civic just a few short months away as well?

___Finally, the Prius II does make a larger statement then the HCH or AH but at a pretty steep price. It will give the average driver a 45 + lmpg and there is something to be said about excellent FE from a relatively well equipped compact/mid-size automobile no matter what price one has to pay!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 08-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My story on my HCH is much like others on this board-- by the time I made the decision to buy the Prius II, the waiting list was closed. There are certain advantages to the Civic--it sure isn't like driving a squashed minivan, which I think the Prius II handles like. I really did want the 9-speaker JBL sound system, though. And the display in the Prius is much better than the proleteriat-styled HCH.

Now I find myself torn between putting a new i-pod compatible reciever in my '04 HCH with less than 11,000 miles on it, or waiting until the '06 comes out and hoping to all that is clean and green that Honda has decent ipod compatible stereos in it, and that it comes in a coupe version and not just the sedan version (check out spy photos at: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...icleId=106351).

I just took my car into get serviced for the new software update, and Honda called me to do a "quality control survey." They asked when I was considering buying my next car. I told them I'll consider buying something new as soon as and as long as it gets better gas mileage than what I'm driving now (excluding the insight, which in terms of safety is just too much like riding a motorcycle, which I'd rather ride than drive such a small car).

The pictures of the coupe at http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=106351 would entice me into getting a new one. But I'd prefer to keep my '04 sedan if the only option for IMA is the sedan.

Old 08-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Geek

Ironically, I have decided I don't like the Prius right now. I was ready to buy in July and took it for one last test-drive, but I realized the view really seemed restrictive and annoying. I like wide-open views, but the Prius' corner "A-bars" blocked too much of the view for me, plus the bottom of the windshield was a bit too high up for my tastes. Also it's not a particularly fun car to drive, though it's mainly the windshield I hate.

The HCH doesn't suffer from these problems, though it is too weak for me and it gets horrible mileage at my highway speeds: 80mph. That's without cruise-control since I never use it. I kept getting around 22-25mpg according to the readout.

So I'm waiting for the 2006 HCH. I know its windshield will be bad like the Prius, but hopefully not as bad. And I hope the 115hp engine and improved FE will give it decent high-speed mileage as well. Time will tell.

Quick Reply: Why'd you get the Civic over the Prius?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands