WTF - 0w20 Oil at $5.00 Quart!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: WTF - 0w20 Oil at $5.00 Quart!!!

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
You are missing the point. If you are going to pass something off as fact, you should at least inform us as to how you came across this information. You made a point to back up your fact about the Mobil 1 with a link. All I was asking was for you to tell how you knew the Honda was not synthetic. I guess you think that people should believe everything you say. If that's the way it works, you should start a religion.

BTW, I did internet searches and could not find the answer about Honda being fully synthetic or not. Posts in forums have gone both ways. If I see your post that says Honda oil is not fully synthetic and another post that says "Honda 0W-20 is made by Mobil and is fully synthetic", obviously one of the posts has to be wrong. However, there is nothing from the posts themselves to tell me which one is right.

Anyway, I did call the service dept. at a local dealer and was told that it was not synthetic.
It just so happens that somebody in my family works as the service manager for a honda dealer. I can't prove this so I'm not going to bother. But I've asked this question and know the answer.

Also, pretend you are the marketing person for the 0W-20 oil from "Honda", you are not going to put synthetic oil all over the bottle if it truly is a synthetic oil? Go to any MINI or BMW dealer and you will see Castrol Synthetic all over "their MINI" oil containers.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by livvie
It just so happens that somebody in my family works as the service manager for a honda dealer. I can't prove this so I'm not going to bother. But I've asked this question and know the answer.

Also, pretend you are the marketing person for the 0W-20 oil from "Honda", you are not going to put synthetic oil all over the bottle if it truly is a synthetic oil? Go to any MINI or BMW dealer and you will see Castrol Synthetic all over "their MINI" oil containers.
Saying that you know somebody that works as a service manager is at least something. The rest of what you say is incoherent. Anyway, it does not matter as I have not seen a bottle of Honda motor oil.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
Saying that you know somebody that works as a service manager is at least something. The rest of what you say is incoherent. Anyway, it does not matter as I have not seen a bottle of Honda motor oil.
Nice. Why don't you check out a bottle of Honda motor oil so that you understand. It's says nothing, if it were synthetic oil, you would figure that they would put that on the bottle if only to boost sales.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by livvie
Nice. Why don't you check out a bottle of Honda motor oil so that you understand. It's says nothing, if it were synthetic oil, you would figure that they would put that on the bottle if only to boost sales.
My car is pretty new and I have yet to change the oil on it. Where would I run across one of these bottles of Honda 0W-20 motor oil? I guess I could drive to my local Honda service department and ask them to bring me a bottle of this Honda 0W-20 motor oil. I was trying to find the answer on the internet before I ever had to change my oil. Especially when I see different answers for the same question, I want to know how people got their answers. Is this unreasonable?

Old 06-02-2006, 11:19 AM

Yikes... I guess I didn't realize I was coming across the wrong way.

OK, so a bottle of Honda 0W-20 just states that plus some SAE number. That's about it. The problem is that they price this oil as high if not higher than what you can buy at any auto store that carries Mobil 1 0W-20 syn. The markup is high. I once paid close to 40 buck for 4 quarts and a Honda oil filter (retail) at a Honda dealer. Same stuff, only better (IMO), from Mobil (4 quarts + 1 M110 Mobil 1 oil filter) came to around $20. Through my family connection, I can get the Honda stuff (Honda Oil, and Honda filter) for about $15.

As for which filter is better... there are many links out there with this comparison but I have cut open a used Honda filter and compared it to a used M1 filter, there are night and day differences in every part of it's construction, with the M1 filter holding up much better.

Please note that the filter that comes stock with your car from the factory is not the same filter as the one you get at your first oil change. The filter in your car comes from japan and the replacement one does not, Honda filters at one point in time were known to be of the highest quality now they are decent but not the best. Especially the US/Canadian versions. The JPM version is still vendored out to a top notch company which I forget the name... I think it's WIX.

Anyway, the Mobil 1 M110 extended life oil filter is what I use along with Mobil 0W-20 oil. I use to replace everything at 5K miles (for the first 30K miles), I now replace everything at 10K miles and everything looks about the same. I have 80K miles currently and have no issues.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:34 AM

Thanks for your response. This makes my decision easier. I will switch to the Mobil 1 oil and filter at my first oil change. I was probably coming across poorly myself. It is way too easy in posts and emails.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am sick of my local Speedee oil change shop (Just like Jiffy Lube).

They have broken numerous clips on the splash shield for my 2000 Subaru Forester and never inform me that they have been broken. So bad in fact that I discover the problem later when I hear a whirring sound from the front of the car when the loose shield rubs against my front tire(s). P's me off.

I was lazy and had them change my trans fluid. Overfilled to the nth degree. Way too much trans fluid! I swear these guys are as sloppy as sloppy can be.

Now that I picked up my new HCH2 over the weekend. I don't want those ...<insert favorite adjective here>.. touching this car.

So.. I'm going to change the oil myself. Maybe even the CVT fluid when its time (if i'm confident enough).

Can someone confirm these are appropriate for the 06 HCH2?

Mobil 1 0W20 Synth Oil
Mobil M110 filter

I saw the oil at WalMart for ~$5.25 per quart. They probably only had 6 or 8. No M110 filters that I could see. I'll check my local auto parts store and compare.

I maintain my mower and snow blower.. just haven't touched my cars out of laziness or fear(?). Getting under a jacked up/ramped car always triggered my fear of a car slamming onto me ;P Yeah its stupid. I use to always help my father change the oil in his cars when I was a kid. Maybe there are supressed bad memories

Any suggestions on what jacks/stands/ramps to get? I don't have a garage unfort.. so i'll be doing this in the driveway.

I read somewhere I need a special shaped oil filter wrench.. this true?

Unfort no car lift for me. Any suggestions to do this the best way is appreciated. Is it absolutely necessary to have the car elevated and -level- when changing oil or CVT fluid? That doesn't seem very pracical for me.. in the driveway.

Regard and thanks in advance.
GaryW

Old 06-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Enthusiast

OK, I finally broke down and went out of my way to go to my least favorite retailer to pick up some 0-20 Mobile 1. WalMart did have a bunch of Mobile 1, but no 0-20. When I found someone to ask about it they said it wasn't in stock much because demand is so low. I may have to look for another place to buy.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast

I'm sure there is more than one walmart where you live. Try another store.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by texas911
I'm sure there is more than one walmart where you live. Try another store.
That's an extremely helpful response.

I have tried Wal-Mart (they had 1 quart in stock) and some auto parts places that did not even carry it. I still have a ways to go before my first oil change, but I will keep looking when I'm at stores. The stuff can also be found online, but you end up paying a bit more after their premium and shipping. Does anybody know of other stores that regularly stock the stuff?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: WTF - 0w20 Oil at $5.00 Quart!!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands