Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Toyota to put GM in rearview mirror

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota to put GM in rearview mirror

Originally Posted by lars-ss
GM needs to figure out their problems or they will cease to exist.
That's the bottom line. They're not the fittest in an industry of survival.

Old 10-28-2005, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by fernando_g
Sad news!

Back in the 50s, a GM executive said something to the tone of: "Whatever is good for GM, is also good for America". Not the exact quote, but similar meaning.

Unfortunately, the reverse is also true.
Weeding out the old school, old guard, stagnation of a nation is a bad thing??? This is how societies cleanse - either you change or you die.

Old 10-31-2005, 12:02 PM
Energy Independence!

Originally Posted by helterskelter683
Weeding out the old school, old guard, stagnation of a nation is a bad thing??? This is how societies cleanse - either you change or you die.
No; I'm not saying that economic Darwinism is a bad thing. Only that it is a sad thing.... because the companies that are overtaking it, are no longer USA companies.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:39 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Of course, the "American" companies are all run by greedy, fat, white, Republican men who have shipped most of the decent-paying American jobs to Third World hellholes so they themselves can get 1.2 billion dollar bonuses for ruining major corporations and trashing the economy at the same time.

The "Foreign" companies like Honda and Toyota both have factories in the United States, while the Big Three prefer their cars made in Mexico where the workers get paid $1.50/hour. No wonder there's no innovation with the Big Three, and that their quality sucks.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi AshenGrey:
Originally Posted by AshenGrey
The "Foreign" companies like Honda and Toyota both have factories in the United States, while the Big Three prefer their cars made in Mexico where the workers get paid $1.50/hour. No wonder there's no innovation with the Big Three, and that their quality sucks.
___My Ford Ranger was manufactured in the Twin Cities by American UAW members. The Ranger is by far the best truck I have ever owned in terms of price, FE, build quality, and towing capability for a small P/U truck. Maybe I should have driven the Ranger all summer to show you what an All-American P/U is worth in the FE department too Or maybe you would rather not know

___Do you want to hear about some of the other Ford manufacturing facilities in Chicago, IL., Dearborn, Flat Rock, Wayne, and Wixom, MI., Louisville, KY., Kansas City (Claycomo) and St. Louis (Hazelwood), MO., Lorain and Avon Lake, OH., St. Paul, MN. (mentioned above), Norfolk, VA., Edison, NJ. which is also building the B-Series Mazda trucks, and Atlanta, GA.? I am not including the stamping, tranny, and ICE plants throughout much of the US. I will leave it to somebody else to figure out how many Honda automobiles were manufactured in Marysville and Lincoln by comparison …

___Given the Japanese manufactured Corolla has had a CAT replaced at 58K, a water pump at 72K, and the plastic storage tray (it costs over $250 ) broke around the 25,000 mile mark … I haven’t seen all that much difference in quality between an American designed and built small truck and a Japanese designed and built small sedan?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 10-31-2005, 08:34 PM

GM hasn't innovated in 30 years and mostly makes hulks that are shot by 70k mile.
You're being too nice to Garbage Motors. My wife's '84 Pontiac should have come with a tape recording that said "This car will self-destruct in three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first." OTOH, my '84 Civic had nearly 180K miles when I traded it in for a '90 Corolla, which in turn was going strong at 320K miles when I traded it in back in March for my HCH.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Noting the fact that the American auto companies are a) behind the 8-ball on hybrid development (yes- their own fault, I know), and that they're losing over 1,000 per car they build (staggering health care costs via the UAW), and that the Japanese companies are eating their lunch with the hybrids, I've recently come to believe that the American oil companies should make a deal with the gov't and the auto companies and the UAW. The deal would be:

To avoid some kind of 'windfall profits' taxation, the oil companies should fund the American auto companies' hybrid research programs with the stipulation that the UAW get their medical costs to the auto companies under control.

US wins because of lessened ME oil demand.
Auto companies win because of increased market share due to more fuel efficient vehicles.
Oil companies win because their taxation won't be excessively punative.
Unions win because more auto sales mean more workers and maybe even bonuses som e day!

I only buy fuel produced from domestic or North Atlantic crude. No mid-east oil!!!!!

Don

Old 11-07-2005, 10:00 AM

Of course, the "American" companies are all run by greedy, fat, white, Republican men who have shipped most of the decent-paying American jobs to Third World hellholes so they themselves can get 1.2 billion dollar bonuses for ruining major corporations and trashing the economy at the same time.

AshenGrey, you are stereotyping people which as you know isn’t right!

My Chevy Tahoe was built in Arlington, Texas. Some of the parts yes are made in Mexico that is true but most of the parts and assembly is here in the US. When Honda built it’s assembly plant in Ohio the machinery and equipment was brought from Japan, they would not allow tools and equipment from here. US manufactured equipment for assembly is second to none.Kevin

Old 11-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

How ?
Originally Posted by dshelman
I only buy fuel produced from domestic or North Atlantic crude. No mid-east oil!!!!!
Don

Old 11-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dshelman
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you can prove you are buying non-OPEC oil. If the global oil supply is greatly over the consumer demand, it's hurting Middle East oil....I'm very skeptical of this....

Quick Reply: Toyota to put GM in rearview mirror

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands